Skip to main content

A Rant On Diet and Exercise

Let me start out by acknowledging my lack of application of the knowledge I am going to share.

Everyone always says if you want to lose weight you have to exercise.  Let us take a moment and do some math (don't worry I am doing it for you, who wants to do math?).

We are going to have a delicious snack, well we are going to pretend we are anyways.  First I am going to give you 13 Puffy Cheetos.  You are probably thirsty, so I'm going to be nice and buy you a fountain drink (32 ounces), and its going to be Dr. Pepper.  Plus, I'm sure you want some chocolate, so I am going to buy you some Junior Mints too.  Just a regular size box, not the king size or anything.  How many calories do you think that is?  780!  There are 780 calories in that "snack".  And other then the soda, which you might sip on for hours (rotting your teeth... yes I am being a downer today), its pretty much gone in 10 minutes.  More than one third of your daily allowed calories (give or take) is gone in 10 minutes (and with no food value even).

So, its alright, you will just take a walk right?  For ease of math I am going to assume you are a 135 lb female, because thats what they always do in magazines.  It will take a bit more activity if you are lighter and a bit less if you are heavier.  Well you have to walk for 3 hours and 45 minutes at a moderate pace.  Jogging is more effective at burning calories, so you will just try that.  Well you only have to do that for 1 hour and 50 minutes.  Oh, but your joints won't hold up to that much impact, so swimming is better right?  2 hours and 10 minutes.  You are gonna be pretty wrinkly when you are done sweating off that snack. 


It will take you almost four hours of walking to get rid of 10 minutes of snack.  Wouldn't it be more productive to just wait for dinner? 

Now I tend to eat and not exercise, and its fairly amazing that I am not the size of a small elephant.  So I am not really one to talk, considering that 780 calorie "snack" is one of my favorites.  I just hate how people are like, well if you exercise you will lose weight.  Only if you quit eating so many calories!  Or you invest your entire life into burning them off.

Exercise is important in having your body LOOK good, because you can be a healthy weight and look like hell if your not toned (me being a case in point). 

Its also important in having your body feel good (not like that you perverts).  Lots of health problems (physical and mental) can be avoided or made better by exercise (and diet).  You tend to live longer and be happier.  Your heart not giving out when you are 35 is generally considered a good thing.  However putting down the Whopper and eating some carrots might help with that too.

The food industry would love to have you believe that food isn't the underlying cause of obesity, its a lack exercise.  After all they make more money when people are as big as houses, but lets be realistic about it.  Diet is more important then exercise when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight.

Just to make you hungry :)















An awesome documentary talking about the food industries' link with obesity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Is Mother Goose Time Worth The Money?

Last night my husband asked me if I thought that Mother Goose Time was worth the money if I didn't get it for free.  I think this is an excellent question, and one that people probably want to know. How Much Does It Cost?: Mother Goose Time costs $75 a month for one child, including shipping if you buy it month to month.  If you can order and pre-pay ahead of time, you can save up to 15%, depending on how far ahead you pre-pay.  If you have more than one child using the curriculum it is only about $5 a month to add a child.  Many of the products provided cover the entire class, including manipulatives and story books.  The things that each child needs come packaged in their own bag for each child. What I Think of the Curriculum: The curriculum is great.  It is thorough and engaging.  It provides me with ideas and supplies to teach my son things I never would have thought to teach him, but will make him a very well rounded person.  He now talks about things he never would ha