Skip to main content

Clomid

So I am going to take Clomid.  I am excited about this, and if it works I am going to be a LITTLE annoyed with the midwife I went and saw last year who wouldn't give it to me because Michael has bad counts.  Because if it works that would mean that it probably would have worked before and then I should be having a baby around now instead of paying loads of money to get pregnant.  But that is besides the point.

Clomid is only 5 pills, taken over the course of 5 days.  You would think they would be rather side-effect free.  They are not.  I have not started taking them yet, but I had to read up on them of course.  Well I mean they put the information in the package with the medicine, I think you should read it.  The fact that I then went online and spent hours reading the same things over and over again is irrelevant.

List of side-effects:
  • Hot flashes - 10% of women get them on Clomid I guess.  YAY a menopause preview!
  • Bloating and cramps - I love feeling fat and in pain
  • Weight gain - Oh wait, I might not just feel fat, I might actually get that way.  Super.  Luckily my source says only 1% of people experience that.
  • Mood swings - Look, Michael gets a side-effect too LOL
  • Nausea and dizziness - Menopause and early pregnancy preview.  Clomid is like getting to the movies early!
  • Headaches
  • Abnormal menstrual bleeding - Well, I wouldn't know the difference so for me I guess this one isn't that bad.
  • Breast tenderness - Isn't it funny how tender can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on its use?
  • Vaginal dryness or thick cervical mucus - So the medicine they give me to help get me pregnant might make it so the spermies have nothing to swim in.  Gee that sounds awesome.  I guess that would be a good time to move onto insemination.
  • Blurred vision - Super.  Luckily I don't drive very often so this won't be dangerous, just terrifying.
  • Ovarian cysts - Like the abnormal bleeding I get these anyways, so its not to bad.
  • Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) - the ovaries become dangerously enlarged with fluid. This fluid can leak in to the belly and chest area, leading to complications.  Luckily this is rare and can be mild.
You can avoid noticing some of these side-effects by taking your pills at night, so I wrote to the doctor and asked if that was okay.  Luckily I work at home, so its not to big of a deal if I am miserable.  But still I would prefer not to to super sick.

Multiples are also a "side-effect" of Clomid.  One that you can't sleep through.

This is the one of which I am most terrified.  I love babies.  But I would really prefer them one at a time.  See I also like sleep.  And making money.  Neither of which I can do with twins.  Or triplet.  Or quads.  At least with twins its 2 babies, 2 boobs, 2 arms, 2 parents.  But anything more seems impossible.  I guess the average chance of having twins is 4%.  That is a 1 in 25 chance.  With Clomid it goes to 10%.  That is a 1 in 10 chance.  There is a one in ten chance that if the Clomid works I will have twins. 

Of course that is if the Clomid works.  The rate of sucess for that is 40-45% in six months.  If it doesn't work after six months they move onto something else.  Of course if it doesn't work in the first couple of months I am hoping we will move onto insemination so I don't use up all 6 of my clomid cycles with out attemting the IUI. 

The best part of Clomid?  The cost.  Its only $8.99 a cycle.  I mean it is only 5 pills, but still its really cheap when you consider the 30% success rate in the first cycle :)


    Comments

    1. Best of luck! The only side effects I remember is the moodiness (this actually was several days after finishing the pills), slight dizziness, bloating, and I got a huge cyst from it that took a few months to go down all the way (very painful). That is rare though as you said; they never mentioned OHSS but I think it was a bit of that.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love your comments for the side-effects! The side-effects themselves don't sound funny but I love your take on them. :p

      I really hope this works for your guys! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I keep anticipating your next post rach!
      I like the narration as kate said.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

    Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

    Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

    Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

    This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

    Is Mother Goose Time Worth The Money?

    Last night my husband asked me if I thought that Mother Goose Time was worth the money if I didn't get it for free.  I think this is an excellent question, and one that people probably want to know. How Much Does It Cost?: Mother Goose Time costs $75 a month for one child, including shipping if you buy it month to month.  If you can order and pre-pay ahead of time, you can save up to 15%, depending on how far ahead you pre-pay.  If you have more than one child using the curriculum it is only about $5 a month to add a child.  Many of the products provided cover the entire class, including manipulatives and story books.  The things that each child needs come packaged in their own bag for each child. What I Think of the Curriculum: The curriculum is great.  It is thorough and engaging.  It provides me with ideas and supplies to teach my son things I never would have thought to teach him, but will make him a very well rounded person.  He now talks about things he never would ha