Skip to main content

Kinda Like a Werewolf

I've been attempting something called "lunaception".

Basically the idea is that back in the day, before electricity, women cycled with the moon.  On the full moon they ovulated and they got their monthly visit with the new moon.  It seems a bit far fetched until you recall that the human body is about 50% water, and the moon controls the tides.  If the moon can control the whole freaking ocean, it can probably do something to our water dense bodies.  Actually I think it has more to do with light vs. dark, but whatever.  I am not a scientist, I am just a desperate infertile!

There is not a ton of information available about lunaception, probably due to a combination of a lack of scientific research and the simplicity of it.  I will tell you how to do it, and some tips, so you don't have to search all over the internet for it.

-Start sleeping in a pitch black room.  I mean no night light, no television, no stupid little light on the cable box, and not even an alarm clock.  So dark that even after you have been in the room for like half an hour, you can't see your hand in front of your face. Black out curtains are a great idea.
-Starting the day before the full moon (the next one is June 4th 2012) open your window, and if its still pretty dark in your room, turn on a light.  Leave the window open and/or the light on for 3 nights (the day before, the day of, and the day after the full moon).  Ideally you will ovulate during this time.
-After the 3rd night, go back to sleeping in complete darkness until the next full moon.

After a few months of doing this, your cycle should become regular.  I have only been doing it for one cycle, and pretty crappily at that.  My curtains are not dark enough, I have not been able to talk my husband out of the alarm clock, etc.  Between the short time period I have been doing this, and the poor job I am doing following directions, I have no idea if it is working or not.

Here are a few tips I have read to make it more effective:

-Can't get the room dark enough?  You could try an eye mask.  Some people say it works, others say it doesn't, but they are like $5, so it can't really hurt anything.
-Stop looking at screens for two hours before bed.  Blue light screws with your melatonin levels.  I am failing at this pretty bad.
-DON'T TAKE MELATONIN TO HELP YOU SLEEP!!!  You are trying to balance your hormones, not mess them up!  Some studies have shown melatonin to be fairly effective birth control.
-Try and get outside for a least a few minutes everyday.  Make sure your body can tell night from day.

If anyone decides to try this, I would love to know how it turns out for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."