Skip to main content

Super Awesome Things About Breastfeeding! - Flashback Friday

In an effort to continue posting on a daily basis, as well as allow more people to see some interesting blog posts that I wrote a long time ago, I am going to start re-publishing some of them on Fridays.  I will make some additions, which will be in pink, like this paragraph. :)  I will also be changing the pictures because I am trying to keep things legal, now that people other than my best friends look at my blog.  Plus they draw in "views" that don't actually VIEW my blog, just the picture.  All of the posts will be at least a year old, and have gotten a small amount of real views.  I am calling this Flashback Friday!

Breast is best.  Unless you are a sheep.  Then its Mountain Dew all the way :) 

Originally Titled: Are You Interested in a Way of Lowering SIDS, Childhood Cancer Rates and Other Bad Things?  In my new font however, SIDS looked like a bunch of scribbles.

Me too!

So I suggest you breastfeed. Well actually since only two people appear to read my blog, and neither of them have kids, that might be kind of weird and inappropriate considering they are probably not lactating. But anyways...  More than two people read my blog now, which is great!  I also realize that not everyone CAN breastfeed.  There are about 3% of people that don't have the ability to produce enough milk to feed a baby.  There are also people that require medications that make it so that breastfeeding isn't safe.  Some babies have allergies that make it difficult to breastfeed them.  Some people can't pump well enough to allow them to continue breastfeeding after they go back to work.  I think I covered all the bases now.

The Wonderful Health Benefits of Breastfeeding!

*babies breastfed for less than 4 weeks are 5 times more likely to die of SIDS than infants breastfed for more than 16 weeks
*Babies breastfed 2 months or less are almost 4 times more likely than babies breastfed for more than a year to be obese when they enter elementary schoo
*Infants breastfed for 6 months or less are almost 3 times more likely to contract a lymphoid malignancy than babies breastfed longer than 6 months
*breastfeeding for only 9 months or less is a risk factor for asthma
*women who breastfeed each of their children for only 1 to 6 months are twice as likely to suffer from either premenopausal or postmenopausal breast cancer than women who breastfeed each of their children for more than 2 years - if every mother in the United States breastfed her babies only 6 months longer than originally planned, there would be 250 000 fewer cases of breast cancer in the country each year

If you are unable to breastfeed for whatever reason, you can still get ALL of these benefits for your baby (not the one for you though) by using donor milk.  Yup, I am suggesting that you feed your baby another woman's breastmilk.  EWWWW GROSS you are thinking right?  Well you probably drink milk that was made by a cow (which isn't even a human!) and intended for a calf to drink, so if you think about it, it isn't that weird to use donor milk from someone in the same species as you.  Someday I will do a post on increasing milk supply and how to get some donor milk.

There are also a number of things you can use breastmilk for: ear infections, pink eye, nasal congestion and more!

My mom breastfed four children, but somehow I don't have any pictures of any of us eating.  So bottlefed lambs are the most relevant pictures I have. 

Breastfeed for at least one year, the first six months of that exclusively and you have given your child an excellent start healthwise!

I was going to put a breastfeeding picture here, but since I already have one on another blog entry, I've got to move some pictures around, because although I have no problem with nursing in public or babies eating the way they should be, two nursing pictures on the same page seems a little overkill for a non-nursing blog by a non-nursing person...  Actually now I just don't HAVE any breastfeeding pictures...


This post may be linked up with one or more of these wonderful blog hops:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Is Mother Goose Time Worth The Money?

Last night my husband asked me if I thought that Mother Goose Time was worth the money if I didn't get it for free.  I think this is an excellent question, and one that people probably want to know. How Much Does It Cost?: Mother Goose Time costs $75 a month for one child, including shipping if you buy it month to month.  If you can order and pre-pay ahead of time, you can save up to 15%, depending on how far ahead you pre-pay.  If you have more than one child using the curriculum it is only about $5 a month to add a child.  Many of the products provided cover the entire class, including manipulatives and story books.  The things that each child needs come packaged in their own bag for each child. What I Think of the Curriculum: The curriculum is great.  It is thorough and engaging.  It provides me with ideas and supplies to teach my son things I never would have thought to teach him, but will make him a very well rounded person.  He now talks about things he never would ha