My craft room was finally in somewhat useable condition, and Michael has bought me an iron, so it was high time to get sewing! I never just sew one thing, so I have actually made three things this week. All of them are for the little girl that I baby-sit, because I grow a bit weary of making baby clothes for imaginary babies. Since we are in the process of getting certified to be foster parents I might have a baby to sew for soon, albeit temporarily, but since I have no idea of the age/gender of child(ren) we will get placed its kind of a shot in the dark as to what to make. I don't much like sewing for myself because I am a bit deformed when it comes to my body shape, so stuff doesn't necessarily fit me well unless its made of stretch knits, which I kind of hate to work with. Well I have actually only tried once, but it was a disaster and I gave up on them. Plus clothes for me take a lot more fabric which means it is more expensive if it turns out like garbage.
Anyways, I started with a "lovely" pillowcase-style dress that I made without a pattern. The picture does NOT do it justice as to just how bad this is. I am sincerely hoping it gets worn as a nightgown, not a dress. It was supposed to be reversible, but somehow I screwed it up royally and its just lined instead. I literally made it out of a pillowcase I got at a yard sale for 50¢.
Then I moved on to some shorts. When I showed them to Michael, he told me they are "old school". I told him that is to be expected when you are using a pattern from 1983. For these I used the back half of the first dress I made, which was a disaster, not due to my incompetence (although I am sure that didn't help), but due to the fact that the dress was HUGE! These shorts are a much better use of the fabric. I originally wanted to do the tie shorts, because they don't use any bias tape, which I seem to go through like crazy when I sew. Then I realized that Miss Hadlee wouldn't be able to use the bathroom on her own in those shorts so I moved on to a different pair. I had her wear an old tank top of mine to try on the shorts, and since I had already had her try on a dress I was making she was tired of changing clothes and decided she would just wear that to go feed the ducks. So that is why the tank top is tied back with a rubber band, because while it is REALLY, REALLY stretchy, that doesn't change that it was cut almost to her belly button. She was quite disturbed by the process of tucking it into her shorts, because, well when you think about it, tucking shirts in is a pretty rare occurrence these days.
Last, but most certainly not least is another dress. This one is not a fail like the first dress. In fact I think it is pretty awesome if I do say so myself! This dress is the first time I have ever done a zipper, which was (thankfully) quite easy, although its not nearly as well done as it could be. I did the first sleeve perfectly, then I managed to put the second sleeve on inside out, so I had to start over on that. But the end result was quite worth the 5-6 hours the dress took to make. I used a pattern from 1967, but made the dress a little longer than the instructions said. I love the vintage look of the super short dresses for little girls, but since it is getting warmer I wanted her to be able to wear it without tights or leggings underneath, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what little girls in the '60s wore under their dresses so that their underpants didn't show every time they bent to pick something up or reached for anything. The top picture is the dress with the inside out sleeve, but the color of the dress is much more accurate in the mistake picture than in the completed project picture.