Skip to main content

Motivated Moms and A Horrible Housewife

Confession:

I am a horrible housewife.  My poor husband often comes home to a VERY messy house for many, many days in a row.  The only time he doesn't is usually if I had someone come over that day, and even then, the cleaning only extends to the main living area.

In fact, until this last week, if you came to my house and it resembled clean, feel very special, because I did it just for you!

Last Wednesday I found an app on my phone called Motivated Moms.  I used the demo version for a day, loved it and I actually PAID for the app!  (In interest of full disclosure, I didn't actually use "real" money, I have the Google Rewards App and I earn money for the app store by doing quick surveys). 

Its basically a glorified to-do list.  But the genius is that you don't have to think at all!  It has almost all the chores that need to be done around the house in a daily list.  It breaks down big jobs like cleaning the fridge into small jobs, like cleaning the drawers in the fridge.  It also lists everyday jobs like laundry and the dishes.  Even things you don't think to do are on the list, like switching your hand towels in the bathroom.   You can add anything you want to (I am really bad about remembering to brush our teeth, so I have added that as a chore that repeats every day) and hide the stuff that doesn't apply to you.  It includes a Bible reading plan and things like exercise and reading to the kids. 

I have only had it for a week, but for that whole week, my house has been clean (well except the formal living room which looks like it has been ransacked, and my bedroom, which I am working on a little at a time).  I have had three people over in the last 7 days and I have not had to clean "for them" at all.  The really amazing part is that Michael has been home almost all of these days and its STILL clean.  It isn't perfect, and some things are not on the list, but because your house is clean you do them anyway (picking up is only listed on Friday, but 1) when something is on the list to clean, you have to pick stuff up before you can clean it anyways and 2) when you spent your morning cleaning house you don't really WANT to be lazy and leave clutter so it looks like crap anyways.) and some things are at different intervals than what might work for your family (I added vacuum to be done everyday because with summer dust and a shedding dog, once a week was not going to cut it.  I use the once a week vacuum to do a GOOD vacuum, like the edges and corners, stairs and hallways). 

Hopefully I can continue my momentum and my house can keep getting cleaner and cleaner, with less and less work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."