Skip to main content

Learning About Ducks and Rocks - Mother Goose Time

This week we were learning about things we might see On the Lake.  Mother Goose Time set us up with some very fun activities for this week, and on Friday we combined Duck day and Rock day, and it was a lot of fun!

Usually Little Guy is dressed for school time, mainly because we take pictures, not because I am actually good at getting up and ready for the day.  But he had asked if he could do his Mother Goose Time in his pajamas, and since I am always wearing my pajamas I thought that was only fair!  I figure it can't hurt anything as long as I don't make a habit of it!

Little Guy did so well!  I think it might be time to start doing the assessment questions again.  I took a break from assessment after the first month or two, because it was stressing me out and making it unpleasant for Little Guy.  He just wasn't "passing" the assessment, which was making me feel like a failure and become rather pushy.  Now that he is three and a little more advanced, I think we can work on it again next month.

Every month along with our new storybook Mother Goose Time gives us a storytelling set.  It is a backdrop and play pieces that go along with the storybook.  Little Guy doesn't do great at retelling the story with the storytelling set, but he does excel at remembering the story.  This video is him "reading" this month's book.  I had read it to him once, and I think the girls read it to him once or twice, but mostly, he just has a crazy good memory.  The book is not holding up well, which is really surprising, because all of the other books have been really sturdy. 


Playing with the Storytelling Set
 There were a couple of activities today that really showed how much Little Guy has learned in the time we have been using Mother Goose Time.  Something that he really struggled with at the beginning was sorting things in one way, and then in another.  For instance he could sort the Safari Counters by color just fine, but if I then asked him to sort them by animal he messed up a lot.  On a different day I could ask him to sort them by animal and it was cake, but then he couldn't do it by color.  This time he sorted the Shape Links by color in about 30 seconds, then sorted them by shape quite accurately, although he did have more trouble than with the colors.

The Shape Links were baby ducklings, and we were sorting them into their correct nests.  This is what made the second sorting activity take WAY longer than the first.  He wanted us to both pet each of the baby ducklings.  He played multiple times, this lasted probably 20 minutes.

I was kind of lazy with this one.  We were supposed to do fun stuff like use Play-Doh, but I am lame and don't like to make messes if I can help it, and it was nearly lunch time.  So instead we made it work for us. 

Mother Goose Time is great about teaching children things that I would never really think to teach them.  I am more of a "bookwork" kind of person, reading, writing and arithmetic.  This activity was teaching Little Guy about directional words (above, below, behind, etc.).  The shape link was a duck egg, and we rolled the position cube to tell us where the egg should go.  Last time I remember doing a game to learn directional words he had some trouble with a couple of the words, but this time he did almost perfectly.  I did give him a couple hints, like how he could put it behind the "D", but definitely an improvement.


The most disappointing part of the day was after Mother Goose Time.  I had fully intended to take a field trip to the duck pond near our house, but instead Little Guy took at least an hour to eat his sandwich and craisins, making it nap time before we ever made it to the pond!

Next week we are onto learning about Soapy Water!

Little Guy and I get our Mother Goose Time curriculum for free in exchange for our honest opinions and sharing our experiences!  All opinions are my own :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Is Mother Goose Time Worth The Money?

Last night my husband asked me if I thought that Mother Goose Time was worth the money if I didn't get it for free.  I think this is an excellent question, and one that people probably want to know. How Much Does It Cost?: Mother Goose Time costs $75 a month for one child, including shipping if you buy it month to month.  If you can order and pre-pay ahead of time, you can save up to 15%, depending on how far ahead you pre-pay.  If you have more than one child using the curriculum it is only about $5 a month to add a child.  Many of the products provided cover the entire class, including manipulatives and story books.  The things that each child needs come packaged in their own bag for each child. What I Think of the Curriculum: The curriculum is great.  It is thorough and engaging.  It provides me with ideas and supplies to teach my son things I never would have thought to teach him, but will make him a very well rounded person.  He now talks about things he never would ha