Skip to main content

Reading Horizons Review

A long time ago, and I mean A LONG TIME AGO, I received some curriculum to try. 

It was called Reading Horizons Discovery, and it is designed to teach children, between 4 and 9 years old, how to read.

I was supposed to review it, and honestly, there have been a couple of points in time where I got super excited about all the products that people would send me to review, and ended up really, really overwhelmed and didn't manage to review them all.

I used this quite some time ago, with a little girl I used to baby-sit, and didn't get very far because she started preschool and our time together was shortened.  I will do my best to give a proper review from what I remember.

The program comes with 6 guides, a number of flash/review cards, a games supplement, posters, and story books for each level.

It is an incredibly thorough program, and very easy to teach, with it all scripted out for you in the guides.  A lot of work is done on a white board, and there are no workbooks.

Each lesson reviews the past work and adds something new to learn.  It starts at the beginning and by the end of the curriculum (which lasts for a couple of years) the child should be an excellent reader. 

I didn't use this curriculum with my son.  I honestly forgot I had it sitting in my closet, or I might have tried it.  I don't think I would have gotten very far with it though, because it is entirely teacher led, with no independent work (that I remember).  I am more of a teach them, then leave them to their seat work kind of mama.

That being said, although it doesn't fit MY teaching style, I think it is an amazing curriculum and would work very well for small children, because it doesn't have a lot of writing.  It is recommended for use with children that are struggling to learn to read.

You can find out more at https://athome.readinghorizons.com/store/discovery-instructor-materials.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."