Skip to main content

My First StitchFix Box

 

I am sure you all know about StitchFix by now!  

You fill out your style profile, they send you a box of five items their stylists (and extensive computer algorithms) think will fit your style.

I got a free $100 credit to use, from using my friend's referral link which meant I didn't have to pay a styling fee ($20, which is applied to any purchase you make from the box).  The links provided here will give a referral bonus to my sister once I set them up, since I have already maxed out my referral limit for the year.

Anyways.  I spent the week between ordering my fix and receiving the package in the mail checking my personalized shop and USPS tracking alarmingly often.  I was SOOO excited to see what I would get.

When it arrived (right on time!) I opened it up and pulled out the most comfortable sweater in the whole wide world.  Unfortunately, it also looked like I gained 20 lbs when I put it on.  Between the bulky (wonderful) fabric, and the loose fit, it was the opposite of flattering.  It was $46.



Next I tried on these two shirts.  I really liked the orange one with dolman sleeves.  It was really soft, and perfect for Thanksgiving.  My husband however hated it.  I believe he said I looked like a cat lady with no friends and that only construction workers have to wear orange (after I pressed him relentlessly to tell me why he didn't like it).  At $58 it was a little pricey anyways, even if it was just store credit.

The green one was $40.  It fit nicely, and was comfortable, again being made of soft, seemingly quality fabrics. I was not a huge fan of the large zipper down the front, which seemed more like it belonged on a coat.

The last item I tried on was this pretty navy dress for $68.  The picture doesn't do it justice at all.  It was a blue, not black dress, completely overlayed in lace.  It fit really well.


The last thing I got was a pair of navy blue Tom's shoes.  I know people love them, but I hate the square toe and slipper-like look.  I didn't take any picture of them.

So what did I keep?  Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with my first StitchFix box.  I didn't feel like anything was really my style.  I almost just kept the first sweater that was super cozy, even if it looked like a tent.  Then I checked the wash instructions and it was dry-clean only.  NOPE.  I loved the dress, but it was too short for church, and too delicate (the lace would snag easily) to wear for everyday.  The orange shirt was my favorite, but I don't like to dress in ways that my husband hates (except my willingness to wear pajamas all day, a habit I am hoping to break).  I ended up keeping the green shirt.  It is comfortable and more flattering than the other two shirts.

I didn't HAVE to keep anything, but I knew from talking to my friend that after you check out your first box, they sometimes give you a bonus referral code that gives you and a friend a $100 credit if they sign up.  I wanted that bonus and I knew that if I didn't buy something they probably wouldn't give it to me.  Plus it would have cost me my $20 styling fee.  

I immediately ordered my second box, and it is due to arrive on the 23rd.  I have high hopes for this next box.  After my first box, why am I excited about the next one?

1- I gave them detailed feedback about each item they sent me, what I liked and didn't like, to help them hone in on my style.
2- Every day there are new "style shuffles" where you rate clothing.  At first I hated like 75% of what they showed me.  Yesterday they had a special section called "Picked for you" (or something similar) and I liked 9 out of 10 items/outfits they showed me.
3- I made a highly detailed Pinterest board, geared only towards the type of items I would like to receive in this box.  https://www.pinterest.com/wifethenmama/fallwinter-fashion/
4- I gave more specific requests and style suggestions in both my stylist's note and my style profile.  

I think with all these changes, my next box (I asked for something festive to wear for Christmas!) will be more my style.  And maybe I will take better pictures too!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."