Skip to main content

Yes, I DO Like to Overshare!

A lot of people that are trying to have a baby don't tell everyone.  I guess they don't want everyone to know, or its embarassing or something. 

I on the otherhand tell anyone who asks if I have kids/why don't I have kids.  I'm afraid if I don't people will think I am one of "those" people.  You know, the ones who don't want kids, or want to have tons of money before they have kids.  I am most certainly NOT like that.  In fact I have wanted kids since before I was even having sex, which would have been pretty difficult to accomplish.

I understand that not everyone wants kids.  However, I wonder about the priorities of such people.  The only people that I have heard say they don't want kids are people who then say that they want freedom to do whatever then want, whenever they want, or that they enjoy having lots of money and not having to spend it on kids.*  These people strike me as selfish.  If someone said they didn't want kids because they were uncomfortable with children, or they wanted to do missions work or serve God in someway that having children would impede, that I would understand.  I mean, I don't want to raise my kids in a third world country.  But the people who want money and freedom over a family generally make me uncomfortable.  Granted, these people that don't want kids probably shouldn't have them, but it still bothers me in my close-minded little world.

So I don't want people to associate me with the super selfish folks who don't want kids.  I also don't want them to think I am waiting until I am 40 and established in my career (by the way, I don't have a career, I baby-sit which is not leading to any promotions so this would be a really dumb reason not to have a kid) because that is just so unlike me.  My priority is to be a good wife and a good mother.  I don't want people to think my priorities are elsewhere. 

Maybe I make people uncomfortable when I tell them I have been trying for 3 years or so, but I don't really care.  The fact that I have been trying for years make ME uncomfortable.  Some people don't like the advice that people give you when they find out you are trying to have a baby.  I appreciate it.  Hey, maybe they will know something I don't.  I really doubt it, given all the information I have read and book I own on the subject, but you never know!

*Maybe the people that say that they enjoy the money and freedom are actually covering up for the fact that they can't conceive...

Comments

  1. I'm sure you're talking about couples who don't want kids AT ALL EVER, but I will say in the defense of people who don't want babies right away.

    I know I don't want to have them until a couple years into my marriage. I want to have time to enjoy being married and spending time with my husband and deepening our relationship even further, maybe traveling or doing something else.

    That way when we do decide to have kids, we don't have any "regrets" and we can give all our focus to the children.

    But I'm with you when it comes to the money thing. I would gladly spend it on helping our child rather than frivolous things for myself. Yes, frivolous things are very nice but I'm sure my priorities will change once a little one arrives. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think waiting for a while is a good idea, although I was trying to get Michael on the baby boat about a month after I got married. :)

    I just can't fathom NEVER wanting a baby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."