Skip to main content

15 Minutes - This Might Make You Mad

I'm sure you are well aware of this by now, but I am quite lazy.  But I really try not to make excuses for myself though.  Lots of housewives will say things along the lines of "Oh I am just so busy!" or "The kids are so messy that I can't keep the house clean."  My favorite is "I don't stay home to clean, I stay home to be with my kids!"

I'm not trying to cause problems, but I don't believe you.  Now admittedly I have evenings off, which most housewives (because they are also mothers) don't.  But I don't clean in the evenings.  I clean during the day so I can relax in the evenings.  My mom had four kids.  Well she still does, but they don't all live with her anymore.  Her house was always pretty clean.  So I know it can be done.

"Oh I am just so busy!" - I am willing to bet that for most of you (Michelle Duggar with her 19 kids being a possible exception) busy includes a fair amount of time on some sort of internet connected device.  Or staring at a television.  I know my "busy" is sometimes (most of the time) just my lazy.

"The kids are so messy that I can't keep the house clean." - Well don't let them be!  When I want to have the house clean, I tell the girls to pick one room that they want to play in, then I can clean all the other ones.  They are more than welcome to come out and talk to me, or help me out (little kids LOVE helping.  Seriously, hand them a broom, you will see!), but the toys need to stay in the playroom.  Also, when they make a mess, they have to put the toys back in the playroom before we do anything else.  And before nap (if I remember) they clean up the playroom.  Honestly, I make 10x more mess than the kids.

"I don't stay home to clean, I stay home to be with my kids!" - Of course you do.  But someone has to clean.  And seeing as how you are home all day anyways, it may as well be you.  I spend tons of time with the kids.  I play on the floor with the baby. I play endless rounds of Candyland and Memory with the girls (I love that they are old enough to play real games now).  I take them to the park.  I read them stories.  I do learning activities with them.  I take them for walks.  I color with them.  But then they go play with their toys, or ask to watch DuckTales.  Which leaves me time to clean.  Or play TripleTown (darn you Melissa!).  Whatever.  And then there is always nap time!

 I want to clarify that I am NOT judging you.  I don't care if you house is clean.  As long as it doesn't stink if I come in, I could care less about your housewifing skills.  My house is FAR from perfect.  Really far.  I spend nap time playing on the computer, and when the girls are playing on their own and the baby is sleeping, I don't usually jump up and do the dishes.  I talk on the phone to my sister or something.  But I just don't buy most of the excuses.  Just admit you are lazy.  If being lazy bothers you, do something about it!  It really isn't that hard.  It is amazing what you can do in 15 minutes.  In one episode of Sesame Street you could probably have your house cleaned.  Not scrubbed top to bottom, but nicely presentable.

By the way.  I am only talking to housewives here.  I can't imagine what my house would look like if I had kids and worked outside the home.  I am pretty sure I would do whatever I could to try and scrounge up money for a cleaning lady.  Because I am sure as heck not going to want to come home from work to do more work during the limited amount of time I have to spend with my kids between dinner and bedtime. 


For the next few posts I am going to show you some 15 minute before and afters.  Yep, I am going to show you my disgusting house.  That way you can see how much I am NOT judging you.  Plus I can send the after pictures to my mom who has been wanting to see pictures of the inside of my house since I moved in but I keep forgetting to send them.


Comments

  1. pent up frustration?

    I'm definitely not one of those "busy mom's" but man on man do I know a few... I know some women from church that are go-go-go and I admire them when they ARE able to get their house clean.

    There is also a difference between "I had a busy day/week" and "I am always too busy to clean" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really frustrated, except with my own laziness. I just have been in some obnoxious online discussions and think some people are ridiculous! Mostly I just thought of showing what can get done in 15 minutes and felt it needed an introduction. This is what I came up with.

      Its true some days really are to hectic to get much done, but if EVERY day is honestly to busy to get things done, you probably need to slow down quite a bit!

      Delete
  2. True story.

    Yeah... when my house is a mess I usually just say "sorry my house is a mess"... skip the reason/excuse ;) lol

    Having a clean house is not even in the top ten for most important things in the world, and I never what my friends to think they need to clean the house before I come over, but don't make excuses... I get it.

    Although, to be honest, I do make excuses sometimes... Like "Sorry John... I did clean the house... and then we started coloring and doing crafts and THIS happened. My bad." ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."