Skip to main content

The Best Parenting Advice Ever (from a complete non-expert) - Part Two

Yesterday I talked about the first piece of essential advice for parents: Being Consistent.  Today I am going to give you my second piece of advice. 


  • Do NOT be emotional when disciplining.  This one is oh so hard, at least for me.  I am an emotional person, and I love my son so much it is really easy for me to get incredibly emotionally involved. 
    • Why are emotions detrimental to the discipline process?  I don't know for sure.  I have a couple of ideas though, which of course, I will share here.
      • It undermines your authority.  When you are yelling and ranting at your children, or crying about their behavior it does two things.
        • It gives them power over your behavior.  Power is addictive.  They don't consciously understand this, at least not when they are little, but they do know that if they push the right buttons you end up reacting, and for some children that is reason enough to push the buttons.
        • It doesn't provide an example of self-control.  We expect our children to do things they don't want to do without throwing tantrums, but often times when our children don't behave the way we want them to we throw grown-up (or not so grown-up) temper tantrums.  It is hypocritical, which is never good, and it is making it more difficult for them to behave properly, by providing a poor behavior model.
      • You won't make the discipline decisions you want to when you are reacting emotionally.  Most people do or say things that they regret when they are angry, and this is no different with your children.  As humans we will make mistakes, but we should try our best not to, and delaying discipline until you are able to do it unemotionally is a great way to do that. 
      • It is probably less effective.  If someone is angry with you, it is human nature (at least my nature) to get angry back.  I imagine that when you send your child to time out while you are angry and yelling, they spend the time thinking about how mean you are, rather than thinking about what they chose to do that was wrong.
How do you remain unemotional about your discipline?  Well if you find a secret formula for it, please let me know!  Until then, this is what I do.
  • Leave the situation.  If you cannot control your temper or sadness, make sure your children are safe (inside, not with the chemicals, etc.) and tell them that right now you can't discipline them appropriately, so you have to discuss it with them later, leave the room, or have them leave the room.  When I am to angry, I tell my son to go to his room so I can discipline him later.  Then when I am calm I go back up and discuss what happened, then send him to the corner or take away a toy.
  • Discipline early.  Don't wait until the kids have been driving you insane all day to discipline them.  At that point you are at the end of the rope, and your patience is all gone.  Instead, every time they act up, deal with it.  This goes along with being consistent.
  • Work on your voice of authority.  You should be firm, but not angry.  Pleasant, but not cheerful (you don't want them to think that you LIKE getting them in trouble).  Having an authoritative voice can work wonders.
  • Have a plan. Have a rough idea of what you are going to do when a certain misbehavior arises. While it isn't essential that you always do the same thing, if you are having an issue with a certain misbehavior, it can be very helpful to have a plan for when it occurs. One resource for this (which I don't have, but would like) is the If-Then Chart from Doorposts.
Disciplining in love is so important.  When you react in anger, instead of disciplining your child to train them up in the way they should go, and teaching them the proper way to behave, you are punishing them for challenging you. 

While I think there are a number of other things that will really help you in training your children for adulthood, I think that being consistent and unemotional about your discipline, are the two most important things you can do. 

What do you think is the most important piece of parenting advice?  Is there one thing you struggle with the most?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."