Skip to main content

Moving Sucks

I have moved at least 20 times in my life, but I think its actually about 22 times.  I can't remember the first 5-7 so I am just guessing.  Now I am going to move twice more in the next few months if all goes according to plan.  You would think that it would be a cinch for me now, but I think I hate it more and more each time.  Especially since my parents don't do all the work for me now.

For the first four years or so that Michael and I were married we lived with his mother.  I didn't really enjoy this at all.  So I was pretty overjoyed when we finally moved out into our apartment.  GUESS WHAT!  Now we are moving back in with his mom.

This sounds worse than it is.  We are doing great financially (well great for poor people) which means we want to buy a house.  We have no savings though, as we tend to spend what we make, because we are irresponsible people.  We can come up with money pretty quick by cutting back a little, but we are attempting to come up with $5,100 in the next 2-3 months which just isn't going to happen while we are paying for rent, utilities, food, etc.  So Michael's mom is letting us stay with her rent free for the next three months.  Unless we get screwed on taxes, we should have no problem coming up with the money.  Hopefully the property we want will still be available, or they will be willing to take our offer pending financing.  If not, then we will find another place, or at least have thousands of dollars saved up.

I love the idea of buying a house.  Especially this one.  It is on 3 acres, barely outside the city limits.  Its basically a two minute drive from where we live now.  The house has lots of stuff you COULD do to fix it up without feeling like an idiot for throwing out perfectly nice things, but nothing you HAVE to do to have it be comfortable to live in.

Spending enormous amounts of money makes me nervous.  I am really not a risk taker, and I would probably live in a month-to-month apartment my entire life.  So its good Michael is around to push me.  It also makes me nervous, because I am wanting to do hardcore fertility stuff, like injections and IVF (which a year ago I was pretty certain I wouldn't do, but I am coming up on half a decade of attempting to conceive and I am getting pretty dang desperate), which cost thousands upon thousands of dollars.  Even simple testing can cost thousands of dollars when it is all said and done.  So we won't have the money for that on top of a house payment.  BUT once the market goes back up (which is supposedly in the near future) we CAN get a home equity line of credit to use to pay for the fertility stuff.

Comments

  1. Wow Rachel - lots of changes coming your way. Well just one I guess. How far away does Michael's mom live? The place you want to move sounds lovely and perfect for you! I hope it is still available in 3 months. When are you hoping to move? Fertility stuff sure is expensive. I have my first appointment with a gyn coming up in Feb. and I have no idea how much it will cost and it is just to talk with someone. Hopefully she will be able to know what is going on and point us down the correct path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you lots of luck and prosperity in 2012!!! Good luck with the house buying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."