Skip to main content

The Purpose Of LIfe

Many people seem to struggle with finding the meaning of their life, or how they are supposed to find fulfillment.  Just go to a bookstore (assuming you can find one, what with e-books killing the real thing) and see how big the "self-help" section is.  
The fact is that the purpose of life is simple.  We are beings that were created to worship and glorify God.  There are several verses in the Bible that tell us that.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.          
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 ESV 

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV

“Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”   
Revelation 4:11 ESV 

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”  
Mark 12:30-31 ESV 

The second thing we are supposed to do, which will occur fairly naturally if we are doing the first thing, is to share the Good News of Jesus dying for us with everyone. 

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.  
Mark 16:15 
 
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world.
Matthew 28:19-20

It is really simple "on paper" but in reality both of these are really hard to do.  Contrary to today's (and perhaps every other era's) popular opinion, you are not supposed to work towards being "happy" but finding fulfillment in your job, your possessions, entertainment, or even in other people, you should be aiming to feel joy by knowing that God is in control and Jesus died for you.  Happiness is fleeting, joy is permanent.  Humans are selfish and impatient, and doing everything for the glory of God is not our first thought (at least it isn't mine).  Usually my first thought is how happy something will make me, not how happy it will make God, or even other people.  We tend to forget to focus on the treasures of Heaven and instead focus on the treasures of Earth, because they offer a more instant gratification.  This is why some people feel "empty" all the time, or even some of the time.  How terrible is it that I will wake up early to go shopping, but I don't want to wake up early to spent time with God?  How absurd is it that I don't have time to read my Bible, but I have time to watch TV?  

The second part, leading others to Christ, is equally hard for me.  I feel really uncomfortable bringing up religious issues with people that are not religious.  I don't want them to not like me.  I don't want them to call me names, or be rude, or just not talk to me anymore because I am "one of THOSE Christians".  But I need to try.  And sometimes I do.  For example an old co-worker of mine needed me to verify that he had worked with me at Hollywood Video because there is no more Hollywood Video so they can't just call and verify with the company.  In talking to him about it, he mentioned that this job was his chance at "salvation".  Due to his choice of words, I sent him back a Bible verse explaining that Jesus is the only chance at Salvation (Acts 4:12).  He didn't quite get my point, because he then said that the job was a stepping stone for achieving salvation for himself, but I felt pretty good that I had at least tried.  But honestly, if it had been in person I would have just let it slide.  I am really non-confrontational.  Oddly enough I used to do quite a bit of "evangelizing" when I was drunk.  I would tell my friends that they needed to be saved, because I loved them and didn't want them to have to go to Hell.  I don't know if drunk preaching counts though...


Sorry this was so long, this is why I don't usually do Bible related posts, because by the time I finish typing the Bible verses, and my take on the subject, the post has gotten way to long for anyone to want to read.

If you did read this whole thing, would you mind letting me know, either by leaving a comment, or hitting the +1 button?  

Time for Friday Favorites!  My favorite blog posts I have read this week!




This post may be linked up at one of these wonderful blog hops:

Messy Marriage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."