Skip to main content

I Couldn't Do It...

There is something people say a lot to foster parents:  I couldn't do it, I would get to attached.

Honestly, I think they are trying to give themselves an excuse as to why they don't do foster care.  Which they don't need to do.  Foster care isn't for everyone.  You don't have to justify why you don't do it.

But it can come off as a little hurtful.  I know they don't mean it that way, most of the time people are impressed that you do foster care (which probably warrants its own post someday).

There is a variation of this, which is: Aren't you afraid that you will get attached?

The answer to that is NO!  I am NOT afraid that I will get attached.  I KNOW I WILL!  I have!  But thanks, bunches, for reminding me.  Sorry, I know that was negative, but I have heard it A LOT in the few months we have be doing this.

I am a pessimistic person, for the most part, but I tend to think the best of people.  When someone cuts me off, I assume that they didn't see me.  So I genuinely figured that it would be awhile before a foster child became available.  I was sure that as soon as the kids got taken away the parents would get clean, get settled and get their kids back.  I mean if my (hypothetical) children were taken from me, it would certainly be a wake-up call to get my stuff together.  Although I obviously can't post any details or anything in a public forum, it is looking like I might have been wrong...

Which leads me to a problem.  We obviously can't adopt every child that comes into our home.  I didn't think this would be an issue since I was sure it would be forever until we got one that doesn't get to go home (it still might be, things can always change).  I never really thought of what would happen if we got to many adoptable ones.  While I don't think I would have a problem having a child moved that was making my life miserable, how can I have a child move that makes my life wonderful?  How can I have a beautiful, amazing child that makes me happy be moved to another family because I can't adopt them at the moment?

I am seriously attached.  So attached that last night I was crying about it.  Just thinking about sending Miss Baby away was killing me inside.  I want the kids to go home.  I really, really do.  If their moms (dads appear to very rarely be involved...) can make it so that it is safe for them to go home, that is what I want.  No matter how much I love the kids, I don't ever want to have "taken" someone's kids.  I don't want to destroy a family to make my own.  I realize that the parents very rarely just give up the kids, but through their actions, or inaction they do.  I don't want it to be a grey area as to whether or not they should have gotten them back.  I am prepared for them to go home.  Will it hurt?  Oh yes, like crazy, but its the right thing to do.
I am NOT prepared to send them to another home if they can't go back to their bio family.  I honestly didn't even fathom that being a problem when we started doing foster care.  I love these babies, I don't want them to leave.  I don't want someone else to be their mom.  I don't want to never see them again because we can't afford two adoptions at the same time, or because adopting two kids at once would make it so we had to close as a foster home for a few years.

Foster care is definitely going to give me my first broken heart.  That is for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."