Skip to main content

4 Things to Say to Bored Children and 1 Way to Avoid it in the First Place

Kids LOVE to complain that they are bored.  Parents HATE to hear their kids complain that they are bored.  I don't hear "I'm bored" a lot, because I don't really give them satisfying answers.  I NEVER suggest what they really want (television), and actually, I never suggest anything.  Here are the top answers I give my kids when they tell me they are bored.
  1. That sucks.  What do you want to do? - This is my go-to, and what I say at least 50% of the time. 
  2. Go clean your room. 
  3. Fold the laundry on the couch. - There is always laundry on the couch when seven people live in a house.
  4. You have a ton of books, go read.
The key to the last three is making sure that they are aware that it is not a suggestion.  Its not "find something to do, or I will find something for you to do" which will do nothing to discourage them from complaining about it next time.  It is "okay, you said you were bored, I found you a solution, when you are done you can find your own entertainment."

I have found that by scheduling their time, I don't hear things along the lines of "I'm bored" very often.  After school the girls come home, put their stuff away, get in their play clothes, and then do homework or workbooks for an hour.  When that hour is over, they go play outside for an hour unless it is really raining, then they play in the house.  After that, they take turns in the shower, the other girls reading.  Then we have dinner, do devotions, then they can watch a show, then bedtime.  When they always know what is coming they don't really wonder bother to complain about boredom.  Plus on the weekends they are excited to have unscheduled time, and be able to play with their toys that they don't really have time to do on weekdays because I think that reading, outside play, and homework are all more important priorities.

The schedule isn't hardcore.  We don't follow it everyday.  Wednesdays they have AWANAS, and at least once a week we drive Michael to school and go shopping and out to eat.  Fridays they stay up later.  Thursdays they have Good News Club.  Honestly we probably follow the schedule fewer days than we don't follow it on an average week.  But when everyone is at home for the afternoon, it is nice to have a plan.  It is nice that they know what they are going to be doing. 

One thing missing from our schedule is chores.  They don't have chores everyday beyond cleaning their room, making their beds, and picking up after themselves.  Not because I don't think chores are a great way to teach them self-reliance and responsibility, but because my house is to messy.  I have clutter every where, so I can't really assign them to vacuum when the floor is littered with laundry, pre-school supplies, and other miscellaneous items.  So once a week or so we all work together to clean the house, but they don't do chores everyday at this point.

One thing my mom always said to me when I complained about boredom was "Only boring people can be bored."  It always irritated me (which was probably the point LOL) so I don't say that one.  Yet.  I might get there at some point.  I say everything else she used to say to me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."