Skip to main content

Individualizing Instruction

In case you have missed it, I really enjoy using the Mother Goose Time curriculum that Little Guy and I receive for free in exchange for our honest reviews.  Every once in a while I don't think they do quite enough of something for my little man though, and at that point I individualize some things for him.

One of the most obvious things that I do is with the Sight Word Pointers and the I Can Read books.  In the usual course of the curriculum, the I Can Read books are used one day, then sent home with kids.  Since I really value literacy and reading, and Little Guy already knows all his letters and most of the sounds, I think these resources deserve more of our time.  So every month I dig out the books and pointers, add them to the first day's bag, and we use them every day.

My six year old is not great at reading, and so she is in a reading class at school.  She comes home with sight words on a little ring that she is supposed to study, I thought this was brilliant and used the idea.  Mother Goose Time always sends one of these rings in the Circle Time Bag, to make the song booklet.  I usually just have the Teacher Guide out in front of me so I don't use the song booklet.  But I DO use the ring!

Each morning during Circle Time we read the I Can Read book (well I read and Little Guy memorizes/repeats it) and then go over the sight words.  He knows most of them pretty well, and its adorable to hear him say "o-u-t spells out".  He gets a few of them confused, like "it" and "in" but I am pretty impressed with his learning.

learning to read sight words

Another way that we individualize his learning is by reading LOTS of books on topics of interest.  Little Guy has always loved books.  From the time he was tiny he would sit and listen to you read for as long as you were willing.  He was listening to multiple chapters of books in one sitting before he turned two.  So some days we read a lot of books about the things he is interested in.

If an activity is to difficult for him, I look for ways to make it easier, without making it to easy.  For instance when he was first starting out, I would play matching games with the pieces up, rather than down, so he could find them easier and focus on the matching rather than the memorizing.  Since he is the only kid in his "class" I often join him in activities, because although a six piece puzzle doesn't seem challenging to me, I know that he probably couldn't do it (a interlocking puzzle, he can do cut out puzzles).

Honestly I don't do much to adapt the activities.  If they are to hard I assist him, and if they are easy, I usually let him just feel good about being able to do really well at them.  My husband and I make an effort not to compliment mediocrity, only excellence, so I like to be able to praise him when he excels at something.  Don't feel bad for my poor, compliment deficient son, I compliment him on his attitude, manners, helpfulness, patience, and kindness regularly.  At which point he generally reminds me that he is patient... "like a friendly bee".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."