Skip to main content

Another Sad Good-bye

One year and about 2 months ago, my beautiful little girl, Miss Baby, was moved across the country to live with family members she had not seen in over a year.  (For those that don't know we do foster care.)  That was probably the saddest I have ever been, other than when my grandpa died.  But I was also angry.  The whole situation was messed up, and I didn't think it was right for her to be moved.

Today, Bitty Baby left.  Her situation was pretty good.  Her dad found out he had a baby, had a good record, and wanted to have his little girl.  This is a definite success story!  I actually didn't think I was that sad until we got the message yesterday saying she would go home today.  Then I realized that despite the good things about the situation, this was "my" baby!  I brought her home from the hospital, I fed her every few hours for a couple months.  I took her to the hospital for surgery yesterday (Yeah the judge was awesome and ordered her home the day after her surgery...).  I love her!

I think this is actually a little harder on me than when Miss Baby left.  Miss Baby was here for 18 months, and I still miss her now.  But there are two reasons this is hitting me so hard.  One: I didn't think I was going to be so sad, so it hit me like a brick wall, and Two: I am not angry like I was with Miss Baby.  Anger is a really easy emotion for me.  It is weird, and probably quite unhealthy, but I am pretty comfortable being angry.  Sad, not so much.

Also, for some reason I always have a hard time remembering Bitty Baby isn't here.  When she would go on visits, or with Michael somewhere I would always be like "Oh, I should feed her, check on her, change her diaper, etc."  Then I would remember she wasn't home and move on.  It isn't a crazy thing, I didn't actually go check on her, it just didn't register with me that she was gone.  So despite crying off and on all morning about her being gone, I still managed to forget for a split second that she was gone, and that started the waterworks again (kind of like writing this...).

We don't usually meet bio families, it isn't something we are comfortable with, and sometimes they are pretty hostile.  But, Bitty Baby's dad didn't actually lose custody, he never had it, and from everything I had heard he is a really nice guy, so I made an exception.  I carried her out to his car, reinstalled his car seat for him (because car seats are a pain, and I am pretty close to an expert at installing them by this point) and buckled her in.  I got all her stuff out of the car, and then when it was time to leave I couldn't help but cry, despite people being there.  I asked if I could give her one more kiss, and of course he said yes, so I went over, told her I loved her and then I had to leave.

Little Guy didn't make it easier, he was quite annoyed that I had left his baby sister.

Her dad said that he was totally open to maintaining contact, and even letting us take her for a day or something.  Michael thinks it will be easier to just cut off cold turkey.  I don't know what I think, other than that I am sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."