Skip to main content

Why Don't You Cover Up Already? For That Matter, Why Don't I?

 2Now I commend you(B) because you remember me in everything and(C) maintain the traditions(D) even as I delivered them to you. 3But I want you to understand that(E) the head of every man is Christ,(F) the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and(G) the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5but every wife[b] who prays or(H) prophesies(I) with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same(J) as if her head were shaven. 6For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7For a man ought not to cover his head, since(K) he is the image and glory of God, but(L) woman is the glory of man. 8For(M) man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but(N) woman for man. 10That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.[c] 11Nevertheless,(O) in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And(P) all things are from God. 13Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16(Q) If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do(R) the churches of God.

1 Corinthians 11:2-16

So lots of people believe in the Bible as the word of God.  I count myself as one of these people.  But I wonder why so many God and Bible believing people don't think they have to actually DO what the Bible says.  *Again, this is a hypocritical post, so don't feel judged*

It pretty much says right there, ladies cover up your head, guys don't.  But we as a culture do the complete opposite most of the time.  I hardly ever wear a hat/scarf/anything else on my head, but most guys wear hats ALOT.  Then these same people (again, me included) go on to say how bad being gay/having abortions/stealing things/etc. is because the Bible says so.  Ummm... I am pretty sure that its WAY easier to change what you put on your head then it is to decide to make the right choice about your sexuality/make a life-altering decision/do without something you want/etc.  Oh wait.  Most people don't deal with these problems in their lifetime.  Wearing something on your head (or taking off your hat) would be an annoyance in everyday life.  Plus people would look at you funny. 

Some people say that a wife (I guess this doesn't apply to the unmarried ladies out there, but you'll probably be married someday so I guess it kinda does) has long hair, which is her covering.  A few flaws in that logic.  The first one being that many wives don't have long hair, and therefore their long hair is NOT working as a covering. 

The second logic flaw is that it says that if a wife won't cover her head, she should cut her hair short... As far as I can see if having long hair is the same as covering your head then you would never need to cut your hair short for not covering your head right?  It would already be covered by the long hair.  Long hair is given as A covering, not THE covering.  Plus men are not supposed to have long hair OR their heads covered. 

Well it only says to have your head covered when you are praying/prophesing anyways.  Oh wait, don't forget:
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Yup, you should always be praying.  Obviously not actively praying, but you should always be connected to God, giving him thanks for good things and asking forgiveness for mistakes.  Plus you never know when you will need to pray.  What if you see a car accident, or some other tragedy.  I say better to be prepared.

I think its pretty obvious that you are supposed to (as a wife) keep your head covered.  I really, really want to do this.  It makes my husband pretty annoyed when I do though.  Which is ridiculous considering having it uncovered is a dishonor to HIM!  So I am a pretty weak Christian I guess, because obviously I am putting my husbands desires before what the Bible tells me to do. 

I am really going to have to work on that.  Maybe I can discuss some options for things that are better than the bottom half of an old t-shirt to wear over my head.  Yes, when I first felt convicted to cover my head, that was all I had on hand... But apparently rags on my head is not a good look...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."