Skip to main content

Couch to 5k

As I went over last time, the Couch to 5k (C25K) is a program for very beginning runners.  I thought I'd share the plan with you in case you wanted to join Michael and I virtually in our masochistic plan.  I'll let you know when I start, because whining is one of my favorite things, and running makes me whine.

C25k is an eight week plan, but you only run 3 days a week.  To much running, especially all of the sudden is to hard on your bones and joints.  Plus the down time allows your muscles to heal before you torture them again.  For three of the non-running days (which should not be consecutive, allow your poor body a break) you should take walks, ride bikes, or other low impact stuff.  Then you get one day off completely.

You start each session with a 5 minute warm up walk.  You end each session with a 5 minute cool down walk unless you just walked (like on W5D2).  Workout times include the warm up and cool down.

Week 1 Day 1: 30 minutes
     Alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes.
Week 1 Day 2: 30 minutes
     Same as Week 1 Day 1 (W1D1)
Week 1 Day 3: 30 minutes
     Same as W1D1

Week 2 Day 1:  31 minutes
     Alternate 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking for 21 minutes.
Week 2 Day 2:  31 minutes
     Same as W2D1
Week 2 Day 3:  31 minutes
     Same as W2D1

Week 3 Day 1:  28 minutes
     Two reps of the following: jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, jog for 3
     minutes, walk for 3 minutes.
Week 3 Day 2:  28 minutes
     Same as W3D1
Week 3 Day 3:  28 minutes
     Same as W3D1

Week 4 Day 1:  31 minutes
     Jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes, jog 3 minutes, walk
     90 seconds,  jog 5 minutes.
Week 4 Day 2:  31 minutes
     Same as W4D1
Week 4 Day 3:  31 minutes
     Same as W4D1

Week 5 Day 1:  31 minutes
     Jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 5 minutes.
Week 5 Day 2:  31 minutes
     Jog 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, jog 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes.
Week 5 Day 3:  30 minutes
     Jog 20 minutes.

Week 6 Day 1:  34 minutes
     Jog for 5 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, jog for 8 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, jog for
     5 minutes.
Week 6 Day 2:  33 minutes
     Jog for 10 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, jog for 10 minutes.
Week 6 Day 3:  32 minutes
     Jog for 22 minutes.

Week 7 Day 1:  35 minutes
     Jog 25 minutes.
Week 7 Day 2:  35 minutes
     Same as W7D1
Week 7 Day 3:  35 minutes
     Same as W7D1

Week 8 Day 1:  38 minutes
     Jog 28 minutes.
Week 8 Day 2:  38 minutes
     Same as W8D1
Week 8 Day 3:  40 minutes - LAST WORKOUT!
     Jog 30 minutes.

That is it.  It seems tough, but I guess I will find out.  We may not make it all the way through, due to time constraints as we are going to be running in the morning before Michael goes to work, and we also want to start our day with reading the Bible, and he still has to get ready and I need to make him breakfast and lunch.  We can really only allot 30 minutes each day, so I think we will just do a modified version and do a little less warm up and cool down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."