Skip to main content

Sometimes My Tongue Hurts From Biting It

This story is very tangent filled.  It is actually two stories.  One about getting our Christmas trees, the other about biting my tongue.

Last night we got our Christmas trees.  Yes, I said trees, like plural, because we have a living room and a family room and I see no reason they shouldn't both be festive.  Overkill?  Probably, but it doesn't hurt anything.  Plus then I can put the presents under the tree in the living room and the baby won't try to eat them, but we can still have a tree in the family room for everyone to see.

Anyways, we have a little car, so getting two Christmas trees home with it would be a stretch.  So we borrowed Michael's mother's SUV.  She lives really close, and the tree farm we went to is like, literally, 2 minutes from our house, so it was no big deal.

This tree farm was GREAT.  You go out into the field and pick your tree, then you come back and get the workers and they cut it down, drag it back, cut off the bottom limbs, shake the loose needles, bale it, and load it onto your car for you!  For only $30!  Which is more than we usually pay for a tree, but only by like $5-10.  Plus we told them we forgot our coupon (which we did) so they gave us $5 off BOTH trees!

Then my wonderful husband spent the evening putting up Christmas lights in the rain.  Eventually we got around to taking his mom her vehicle.  His sister was over visiting, and then a neighbor came by.  (Now we are getting to the tongue pain)  While she was over the neighbor started talking about a family member who has apparently had 3 preemies due to a lack of some hormone that can't be synthesized so they can't just supplement it.  Then she said that this woman was 4 months pregnant, and was barely registering as pregnant with her hormone levels (maybe its hCG she is deficient in?).  All fine and dandy conversation.  Next thing she says is NOT fine and dandy, in fact it disgusts me.  She said "She had her amniocentesis done and they are waiting to hear back those results, and if anything is wrong they are going to terminate.  Otherwise they will keep the pregnancy going as long as they can."  Just like that.  No mention of it being awful.  Seriously, sometimes I wish I were permanently drunk so I could tell people exactly what I think.  Because I really wanted to say "Oh, yes, by all means, test to make sure the baby is fine.  If it has down syndrome or something it should definitely be murdered.  In fact, having a birth defect is a great reason to dismember someone and throw the pieces of their corpse in the garbage.  Not to mention there is something like a 5% false positive rate.  Or the fact that she is having a procedure that increases the risk of miscarriage in an already high risk pregnancy."


But I didn't because I can't.  Plus Michael unknowingly had great timing.  He isn't really one to pay attention to conversations that  don't actually involve him, so he was watching TV.  But immediately after she said so casually that her family member might commit infanticide, Michael suggested we leave.  A suggestion that I immediately agreed to.  I would say it was divine intervention (should that be capitalized?), but I kind of think that God would prefer I speak for those that have no voice. 

Have you ever bitten your tongue when you really didn't want to?  Or are you more of a speak your mind type person?

 


Womanhood With Purpose

Comments

  1. Whether or not I bite my tongue tends to depend on what the circumstance is cause if I know them really well then I tend not too or if I don't really know them and can choose to not see them again then I will too but if I only kinda know them and have to see them again then I try to bite my tongue. Sorry that was a really long run on sentence lol. This is Megan but I had to put anonymous cause I don't have anything else to select

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally believe in letting things be... but I wouldn't have been able to go without saying SOMETHING.
    Probably around the lines of "those tests aren't very accurate" and tried to leave it at that.

    How can someone be so selfish?!?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to get a little out of control when I let people know how I feel. Its like it takes so much adrenaline to get the guts to say something that I've got 'roid rage!

    I get shaky for like 15 minutes after a confrontation of any sort (unless its with my mom/sister/husband...) and have trouble keeping myself from tears, curse words, and well, lets call it outdoor levels of volume. Or screaming, because screaming is more honest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over the years, I've learned (through MUCH trial and error) that if my first impulse is to speak, it is usually much better that I don't, and vice versa. Doing it, however, is the trick!

    Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it :)

      Ah, impulse control... Quite a struggle sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I shake from adrenaline in confrontation too. I also get sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing makes a point more memorable than saying your piece, convulsing, and then vomiting on the persons shoes :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."