Skip to main content

Ingredients of Godly Discipline

*This post is a review of a product I received free of charge in exchange for a review.  The opinions in the post are all my own and not influenced by the fact that I received it free*



Doorposts is an awesome company that has MANY different products to help you train your children.  This is their newest product, and is designed to help you guide your children to Jesus while they are being disciplined.

Honestly I have not used this as much as I was hoping to.  While it is an amazing resource, it is also rather time intensive to follow all of the steps.  As I am hoping to really work on my discipline skills (I yell a little to much and I am not as consistent as I know I should be), I am going to be referencing this chart every chance I get for the next month.  At that point I will give a results oriented review, for now its just a product review.

This chart is sized to keep in your Bible, which is where mine has been since I got it.  Unfortunately, along with having a messy house and inconsistent discipline, I also don't read my Bible very often, so it doesn't get looked at as much as it should.  For the next month I plan to put it on my refrigerator so I will look at it all the time (I really like to eat, so the fridge gets looked at a lot LOL).

There are three columns on the chart: ingredients (preparation, instruction, confession, consequences, forgiveness and restoration), Bible verse, and application tips.

The preparation step is such a good starting point.  It is not focused on your child, but on yourself, and why you are disciplining them.  While all the points are necessary for disciplining your child, I especially appreciate the restoration step.  I think it is essential for your relationship that you express your acceptance of the child and forgiveness of his transgression when your discipline session is complete.  When I miss this step I always feel guilty, and like he is angry at me.

On the back of the chart are some ideas for using the chart.  I like that they acknowledge that foster parents might need to adapt some parts of the chart.

This chart gives wonderful advice for leading your children to the Lord during discipline sessions.  No one likes disciplining their children, but it is necessary if you want them to acknowledge their need for salvation through Christ.  If we don't know that we have sin in our hearts, we don't know that we need to be forgiven for them.

Also available is a magnet version for your refrigerator.  It does not have the application column or the usage tips on the back, only the ingredient and Bible verse.  While it is a nice ADDITIONAL product, I would not recommend purchasing only that one.  It doesn't give enough information to be NEARLY as useful as the regular chart.

You can purchase your own chart (or one of their other amazing products - the other one I have is A Checklist for Parents) at Doorposts (this link goes directly to this product, the one at the top is to their home page) for $6.00.  The magnet version is $3.50, and you can buy a PDF and print it out yourself for $5.50.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Is Mother Goose Time Worth The Money?

Last night my husband asked me if I thought that Mother Goose Time was worth the money if I didn't get it for free.  I think this is an excellent question, and one that people probably want to know. How Much Does It Cost?: Mother Goose Time costs $75 a month for one child, including shipping if you buy it month to month.  If you can order and pre-pay ahead of time, you can save up to 15%, depending on how far ahead you pre-pay.  If you have more than one child using the curriculum it is only about $5 a month to add a child.  Many of the products provided cover the entire class, including manipulatives and story books.  The things that each child needs come packaged in their own bag for each child. What I Think of the Curriculum: The curriculum is great.  It is thorough and engaging.  It provides me with ideas and supplies to teach my son things I never would have thought to teach him, but will make him a very well rounded person.  He now talks about things he never would ha