Skip to main content

Preparing to Go On Safari - Mother Goose Time

To be 100% honest I wasn't super excited about this month's Mother Goose Time theme.  I am a weirdo and really not a fan of Africa, and would not go on vacation there if you paid me.  If you love Africa or happen to live there, please don't be offended.  I also pretty much refuse to go to Disneyworld because its in Florida.  I don't want to go places with an abundance of animals that wander around wanting to eat me (lions, alligators, etc.).

I also have an irrational fear of contracting horrible diseases if I went to Africa.  I used to read Lurlene McDaniel books and there was one where a girl went to Africa on mission, contracted a terrible disease and died.  Like the characters do in ALL Lurlene McDaniel books, but this one stuck with me.

As soon as I looked through the box though, I had been completely won over on the theme!  First of all my son was in LOVE with the Safari Counters as soon as I showed them to him, and despite not showing them to him again until it was time to use them, he asked me about them every couple days.  Secondly there were so many fun things planned for this theme!  

After the disaster that was the second half of last month I decided to mark the activities that I really wanted to do even if we were short on time.  Ideally I would do all of them and really utilize this curriculum to its fullest capabilities, but this is real life and Little Guy is two.  He can't really do any of it on his own, so I can't sit him down to do school while I do the dishes.  He gets off topic and/or needs help, so I need to be pretty focused most of the time.  

I went through the book and ended up marking 3 or 4 on every page because they all seemed so fun and educational.  So while it didn't do much for giving me "light day" options, it did work to up my excitement level!  

Resetting the Circle Time display was fun, I was ridiculous and couldn't wait until Circle Time to show Little Guy.  He liked looking at the new poster and noticed the new color and shape pretty quickly.

One thing I really appreciated this month was that the manipulatives came in resealable bags.  Last month they came in one time use bags so I had to find a giant zipper bag for the Shape Builders.  I know its a little thing and doesn't really matter, but its a nice touch!

I can't wait to share all the fun stuff we have planned this month, and if the weather is nice and our bank account is not empty I think I might try to include a trip to the zoo during the week we learn about animals you might see on Safari.  

*Little Guy and I are extremely blessed and get to use Mother Goose Time curriculum free of charge in exchange for our honest opinions and personal pictures!  All opinions are our own!*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."