Skip to main content

Animal Fun with Mother Goose Time

Summer has started around here, which means that I am not doing a super great job of keeping up.  Usually I have Little Guy and another small child.  During the summer I have Little Guy, Hadlee, our three foster daughters and usually another small child. 

This summer we bought full curriculums for the four girls.  A couple of the girls are not quite where they should be academically, and the others may as well get ahead.  The problem with this is that it takes a lot of my day to teach the little girls and correct/assist the older girls.  Add in Dollar Movies, Day Camp, Lunch at the Park, and Water Parks, and poor Little Guy isn't getting as much school time as usual.  He does ask for "My Mother Goose Time" sometimes, and I feel pretty bad when I tell him "Later" and a few days goes by.

We have managed to do some really fun activities, including some math, art, and dramatic play.

This was a math game where we "fed the birds".  I got out some rice, and we counted the grains out to feed the birds.  He did really well on a couple of them, but needed a lot of help with the higher numbers.  Plus, he has some pretty sweaty hands, so the rice was hard for him to pick up one tiny piece at a time.

On Gorilla Day he painted a gorilla mask with a comb.  He had a lot of fun, but didn't quite understand how the comb was supposed to work.


The Storytelling Set this month was great!  The storybook was a non-fiction book, so there wasn't a lot of story to remember/retell.  To make up for that they included Story Starters, and animal cubes to roll.  We picked a story starter (example: One animal was hungry.  What do they do?) and rolled the cubes, then we told the story.  He isn't crazy creative yet, but he liked to retell the stories I told.



One of Little Guy's favorite activities we have done was playing with his Safari Counters in the "sand" (cornmeal).  He has asked a couple of times if he could do it again, so I knew he would be pretty excited when it came up on Camel Day.


Lots of fun activities we have been squeezing in between all the craziness!

*We receive Mother Goose Time free of charge in exchange for sharing our pictures and experiences.  All opinions are my own!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."