Skip to main content

What's New With Mother Goose Time?

Every month we get a School Bus Box from Mother Goose Time.  In the box is an amazing curriculum that teaches and entertains my little boy.  Each package has a great balance between favorites that are included every month (theme posters with looking glasses, pattern sets, storytelling sets, etc.,) and new items (different kinds of manipulatives, interesting arts and craft projects, new storybooks, etc.,).

This year Mother Goose Time has made some wonderful changes to their curriculum, while still providing a familiar curriculum that is comfortable for teachers and students.

The Invitation to Create is the most significant change, in my opinion.  It is a change from product based art projects to process based art projects.  At first I was quite reluctant to embrace this change.  In just a few projects, I have changed my mind.  While I still feel that learning to follow directions is MUCH more important than expressing individuality through art, Little Guy LOVES to do the Invitations to Create.  There are many, many opportunities, both in life and Mother Goose Time that allow me to teach him to follow directions, and Invitations to Create give him a chance to explore different ways of doing things.  There are also Make and Play projects that teach him to follow directions to make a product. 

Another new addition to Mother Goose Time for the 2016/2017 school year are schedule pieces.  As you can see, I still have not cut them out.  I don't have a great schedule right now, but I am 100% certain that these would be a wonderful part of the curriculum for preschools and professional daycares.



I also got My Portfolios, which are a new way of recording assessments.  Each day there is an activity with a star next to it (10-Eyed Monster in the picture below).  There are stickers that you can print out from the Mother Goose Time website, where you record the level the child is at in that area.  For each star activity, you either take a picture or save a work sample.  These samples go into the portfolio, and at the end of the year you have a binder full of their school work.  These are another item that I think would be indispensable for preschools.  I have set up Little Guy's but I don't know how well I will do at filling it out. 

Also new in the Teacher Guide are STEAM Stations and a story of the day listed.  The STEAM stations are open ended activities that are designed to interest children in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math.  I LOVE that the story of the day is listed in the Teacher Guide now, and although I doubt it was my opinion that changed it, I did suggest that it would be nice when I started using MGT.


Something that Mother Goose Time always included, and has made SOOOO much better this year, is activities with cubes.  In the past they have been cardboard cubes that you taped together and didn't hold up well with children.  This year they have COMPLETELY upgraded this type of activity.  Now there is a 3 inch (or so) cube that has windows you can slide the cards into.  The squares fit perfectly, and it makes it so much easier to play the games.

Another thing that was always included, but has been greatly improved is the puzzles.  Prior to this year they were flimsy puzzles made of thick paper.  While I could easily assemble them, it was hard for my two year old to get them to stay together while he tried to manipulate the other pieces into the puzzle.  Now they are sturdy cardboard puzzles, much like I remember playing with as a child.


 Mother Goose Time has always been wonderful, but with these new additions, and not at an additional cost, it is even better! 

Little Guy and I get to use Mother Goose Time free of charge in exchange for sharing our experiences.  All opinions are our own!

Comments

Post a Comment

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."