So my last few blogs have really been pointless. I mean its my blog so I can write what I want, but considering I would like at least a few people to read it, maybe I shouldn't just always talk about myself and random crap that crosses my mind. Not that that is bad, I mean I like to read people's random thoughts, but most people are more interesting than me.
- 3 percent of women experience no pain relief and 12 percent only get some pain relief. My mom had an epidural with one of her births, and it only worked on half (not like top and bottom, which is what its supposed to do, but left and right) of her body, which means that she didn't have pain relief or the ability to move around. That double sucks!
- 1 in 5 women that get an epidural develop a fever, which can lead them to believe you have an infection, and mean that they give your baby some tests that are not necessary but separate them from you for at least a small period of time.
- Epidurals are more likely to result in a c-section or forceps/vacuum delivery.
- Your baby is more likely to have breathing/breastfeeding problems.
- Its also VERY important to be able to move around while you are in labor, because it helps the baby's head to move into the proper position as well as making labor quite a bit faster. When you have an epidural you have to stay in the position that does not allow gravity to help with the birth at all. Thus you are more likely to suffer from "failure to progress" and given pitocin to speed things up. Pitocin makes your contractions REALLY strong and can make a c-section necessary because of fetal distress because the contractions are to strong for the baby, but because of the epidural you have no idea. When you have an epidural they do internal fetal monitering, which involves placing a needle UNDER your babies scalp until its born. OUCH!
- Sometimes the epidural causes your lungs to collapse. That is generally considered a bad thing.
- You can end up with a long-term headache from the epidural.
- In animal studies both maternal bonding and development of the baby are harmed by epidural medicine.