Skip to main content

Recipe Reviews - 1/16

So my menu planning has not been going so hot.  Or rather my menu following has not been going so hot.  My husband is being a little reluctant to eat "diet food" and things have got switched around a little bit.  So, it didn't go exactly according to plan.  I have made a few things, and I will share them with you, along with if I thought they were good or not.  The good ones will have recipes, the bad ones will have links to recipes if you don't trust my judgement (I am a very picky eater, so my judgement might be flawed).


Yummy

1) Breakfast Smoothie
    Delicious!  We both really liked this one, although it was a little to thick to drink
    without a straw, so I used a straw I had lying around and Michael ate it with a   
    spoon.  I think I just added to many frozen strawberries.

RECIPE:
makes 2 servings
each serving is 2 cups
211 calories, 5.6 g fiber, 4.5 g protein
-1 cup orange juice
-1/2 plain yogurt (I used greek)
-1 banana
-2 1/2 cups frozen strawberries

Blend the orange juice and yogurt until smooth.  Add the banana, puree.  Add strawberries and blend until it reaches the desired consistancy.


2) Easy Slow Cooker Lemony Chicken Breast
    Oh how I wish I had had someone around to take pictures of this.  I myself was
    practically elbow deep in dead chicken, because I have never EVER used anything 
    but boneless, skinless, chicken pieces before.  We bought a bunch of meat, including
    a couple of cut up fryers and I had no idea how to get the meat off the bone.
    Anyway I managed to get enough meat off to make this, and it was scrumptious!
    Michael and I both liked it, and its pretty easy to make.

RECIPE: 
makes 6 servings (but I would say it makes 4, or I used less meat then the recipe...)
156 calories, 27.7 g protein
-1 tsp oregano
-1/4 tsp black pepper
-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (six halves)
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1/4 cup water
-3 tbsp lemon juice
-2 tsp minced garlic
-1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
-1 tsp parsley

Cut up the chicken breasts.  Mix oregano and pepper and sprinkle evenly over chicken pieces.  In a large non-stick skillet, using medium heat, brown chicken evenly on both sides in olive oil.  Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken, bringing mixture to a gentle boil.  Pour skillet contents into slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 6 hours or 3 hours on high (I actually only cooked it for about 4 hours on high, but I had cooked it almost through on the stove-top and I had maimed it into fairly small chunks).  I served it on a bed of mixed white and brown rice, with a salad on the side.

It doesn't actually make enough to fill much of your slow cooker, which made me a little uneasy, I thought it would burn.  But it turned out really good and SUPER tender!



3) Breakfast Burrito
    Michael liked this one because he said it was "normal food".  I thought it was pretty
    good too, although I have never had a breakfast burrito, so they might just ALL
    taste good.

RECIPE:
serves 1
329 calories, 1.3 g fiber, 18.2 g protein
-1 tortilla
-1 egg
-1/4 cup shredded cheese
-1 slice bacon

Cook the egg and bacon.  Wrap in the tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.



Yucky

1) 20 Minute Skillet Salmon
    Not good.  This one wasn't on my meal plan but Michael wanted salmon instead of
    tilapia so we switched them around.  Very unyummy.  The sauce actually kind of
    ruined the rice and salad, even after we scraped it off the fish.  It did look fancy
    though :)


2) Banana Blueberry Smoothies
    Sadly, this was another fail.  It was supposed to have extra protein by adding
    cottage cheese, but it just ended up tasting weird.  We all drank them, but Jordyn,
    Michael, and I were less than impressed.  Hadlee thought it was yummy.


Eh

1) Caesar Tortellini
    While this wasn't amazing, it was pretty good.  I would eat it again, but I would
    probably get over my cheapness and buy the refrigerated or frozen tortellini
    instead of the dried stuff, because the cheese in them was a bit off-putting.

I just took this second picture so I would have a chance to show off my awesome new bowl that I paid to much money for at Value Village.
  
RECIPE:
makes 4 servings
245 calories, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein
-1 package (9oz) refrigerated tortellini
-1 bag complete Caesar salad mix
-4 slices bacon
Cook the tortellini per package instructions, rinse in cold water.  Fry the bacon, and crumble it (I put it in the food processor).  Toss the pasta, bacon and salad mix.  Serve immediately.


If you added a few more pieces of bacon and more pasta, this could be a one dish meal.



I am planning to post recipe reviews every Thursday.  Let me know what you think.  I feel like maybe this is to long.  Would you rather I just post the good ones?  Or links for all of them instead of the recipes?


This post may be linked up with one or more of these wonderful blog hops:


Comments

  1. yeah I learned the "dry tortellini sucks" lesson the hard way too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the better price doesn't equal the better deal :(

      Delete
  2. That breakfast burrito recipe sounds delish! I've never made one before but now I'm thinking I'll try it soon :) Thanks for sharing at Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Keep this in mind while posting. If you are mean, I will delete your comment. You may have an opinion but you may not be insulting to other people who comment, my religion, or myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Is Mother Goose Time Worth The Money?

Last night my husband asked me if I thought that Mother Goose Time was worth the money if I didn't get it for free.  I think this is an excellent question, and one that people probably want to know. How Much Does It Cost?: Mother Goose Time costs $75 a month for one child, including shipping if you buy it month to month.  If you can order and pre-pay ahead of time, you can save up to 15%, depending on how far ahead you pre-pay.  If you have more than one child using the curriculum it is only about $5 a month to add a child.  Many of the products provided cover the entire class, including manipulatives and story books.  The things that each child needs come packaged in their own bag for each child. What I Think of the Curriculum: The curriculum is great.  It is thorough and engaging.  It provides me with ideas and supplies to teach my son things I never would have thought to teach him, but will make him a very well rounded person.  He now talks about things he never would ha