Skip to main content

Learning About Grains - Mother Goose Time

When I get off of my schedule, it takes an incredibly long time for me to get back to some sort of normal.  I don't know why, I think its because I am lazy, and look for any excuse not to do things.  So when the last week of January didn't fall into place, the first week of February, didn't either.

Michael had a tooth removed on Tuesday, so he was home Tuesday and Wednesday.  I don't know about you, but when my husband is home, I am pretty much worthless.  Despite the fact that he works way harder than I do, I am infuriated by him sitting playing video games while I clean.  Plus (in the interest of full disclosure) I kind of got involved in cloth diaper swapping again, which takes an embarrassing amount of my time.

The bad news is, we didn't do ANY Mother Goose Time last week.  The good news is, Little Guy asked for it almost every day, so I KNOW he is really enjoying it!

This weekend we played a little bit of catch-up, and it was pretty fun.  Little Guy was excited to do "My Mother Goose Time", even if it was at a weird time of day.

Oh, this month we are learning about Food and Fitness.  I am really looking forward to this month, because it is so applicable to every day life.  Things that he can really relate to in every day life.

To start the month, we learned about Grains.  We started out the month the same as we do every month: Nametags!  The discuss question was: What letters are in your name?  Little Guy did awesome.  He still isn't writing his name, but he did (whether intentionally or not I don't know) write an "M", and since his name starts with "M" that is a pretty good start!  It looks a little more like writing now, and a little less like scribbling.  I will have to post comparison photos next month!
Practically writing his name

Michael's Least Favorite CD
The other activity we did for Grains day was Sandwich Art.  We talked about what you can put on a sandwich (cheese, bologna, and peanut butter were all suggestions), then I let him paint!  I set out paint, paper and plastic utensils, then let him do whatever he wanted.  I also put on the disco inspired CD of the month (because Mother Goose Time is AWESOME and gives us a new themed CD in a different style of music every month), and my husband almost killed me.  Apparently Food and Fitness Disco Music is not his style LOL.  Honestly it is probably my least favorite CD so far (my favorite was the Sights and Sounds of Winter, which was inspired by classical music, but we listened to it the least because I hadn't yet decided to play it during art times instead of just when prompted in the Teacher Guide), but its not bad, and Little Guy thinks its fun!

After he said he was done with the utensil painting, he made (by painting) a sandwich.  I decided he was going to do peanut butter and jelly, because I was cooking dinner and didn't want to have to worry about him cutting out tomatoes and stuff.  Plus he eats a PB&J almost everyday (my kids ALL adore them and when asked what they want, whether for lunch or dinner that is what they choose... either they have very weird taste or I am an even worse cook than I thought...).  After he painted the peanut butter on one side, and the jelly on the other, he added oats.  It was hilarious!  

He put the oats in the middle of both pieces, then tried to put it together like a sandwich.  It did not work.

"Oh no!  It keep falling apart!  Get in there oats!" was the quote.  
Michael was like "Did he just order the oats to get in there?"

During dinner we talked about which foods were grains, and I think he got the point pretty well.  We will continue to learn about food groups the next few days, and I will keep encouraging him to identify which foods belong in which food groups until he is a pro at it.

Mother Goose Time is really well organized.  But even when I throw organization to the wind, it still offers great quality activities.  In the last couple months, Little Guy has got to do more arts, crafts, learning activities, science experiments, and learning than I have ever done with any other kids in my care put together!  I did learning time when Hadlee was little, but it was almost entirely flashcards and sight word training.  Which is fine, but not nearly as fun.  She did learn how to read really well (we also worked on phonics), so it was not a waste of time, but it didn't give her the well rounded education that Little Guy is getting from using Mother Goose Time.  It didn't teach her things about the world around her.

Little Guy and I get to use this super fun preschool curriculum free of charge in exchange for our honest opinions and sharing our experiences.  All opinions are my own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."