Skip to main content

Bees, Bees and More Bees - Mother Goose Time

*A special announcement first:  If you have been considering getting Mother Goose Time, now is the time to do it!  They just announced next years themes, and not only do they seem super fun (themes range from Nursery Rhymes to Community Helpers, Birds & Eggs to Superheroes!) but for a limited time you can save an extra 5% on your curriculum.  This is on top of up to 15% savings with a pre-paid subscription!  Click here to see all of the themes, and scroll to the bottom to see the number to call to order and get your discount - YOU MUST CALL TO ORDER TO GET THE EXTRA 5% OFF!*

Last week we didn't do much school.  One day we did go to our friends house, and we brought some Mother Goose Time along, because:
  • Its fun
  • Little Guy likes having a "class" sometimes (other times not so much)
  • My friend likes the stuff we do and was actually trying to figure out if it was cool to ask me to bring some, but I offered so she didn't have to
The kids all worked together to Fill the Honeycomb, then we played a couple more games, did a puzzle and read our storybook.


Fill the Honeycomb

The rest of the week we didn't get to much school, so we were a bit behind.  Today we ALMOST made up for it in one day!  We did NINE activities today with ZERO meltdowns! 

First we did Counting Bee Eggs.  We talked about how Queen Bees lay thousands of eggs a day and never leave the hive.  Then we counted to 15.  Little Guy cannot count to 15, but he tries.  The real problem (other than not being able to count past 12 without just randomly saying numbers) is that he gets a little distracted by whatever we are pretending and likes to talk about it, which really screws up his counting.


Then we had a Bee Hunt.  This is one of the activities that we do every month, and Little Guy loves it! I was impressed that he was able to find the correct bee immediately when there were 20 bees on the poster.







Don't Swat the B was a fun play on words.  We were learning to keep bees safe, since they are good for the world.  We spun the spinner, then turned over the bee card.  If it was "B" we didn't do anything, but if it was another letter we swatted the "pest"  Mother Goose Time even provided a flyswatter!  Little Guy loved it, except when he got a B and didn't get to swat.


I think Transfer the Nectar was Little Guy's favorite activity of the day.  Not only did he get to mess with water, but he also got to use a giant word, which he loves (we learned pedipalps for scorpions last month): Proboscis, which is basically a long sucking tongue.  Bees use their proboscis to gather nectar and then move it to hexagon shaped cells.  Which Little Guy reenacted with water and an eyedropper.


We did a few more games and projects, including a Queen Bee Headband.  I didn't tell him it was a QUEEN bee, because I was pretty sure he would be opposed to that. 


I also made a Queen Bee Headband (although my head was to big for it) and took a picture of the REAL Queen Bee in the house, haha!


This evening we took a walk around our neighborhood, and on one of the side streets my 11 year old noticed something pretty cool and completely topical!  A BEE HIVE!  We stopped and looked at it, and Little Guy and I went over how bees make honey (we used some story cards to learn the process today), and of course I had to take a pictures!



*Little Guy and I receive Mother Goose Time Curriculum free of charge in exchange for sharing our experiences!  All opinions are my own!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."