Skip to main content

Face to Face by Jayme Hull - A Review

What is a mentor?  A mentor is an experienced and trusted advisor.  Titus 2:3-5 instructs older women to teach younger women, to be a mentor to help them become the Christians, wives, and mothers that God desires them to be.

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

In the book Face to Face, Jayme Hull explains not only the benefits of having a mentor, but some practical advice on how to find one, and wonderful guidance on how to navigate the relationship once it is established.



The book was well written, and interesting to read.  It was well organized, starting with the reasons for mentoring, then moving on to finding a mentor, interacting with your mentor, and ending with becoming a mentor yourself. 

From the back:

Whether you have a mentor, can't seem to find one, or haven't even thought to look, Jayme Hull walks you through every aspect of this critical relationship, including: its purpose, value and benefits; marks of a healthy mentoring relationship; initiating, navigating, and even ending a mentorship; becoming a mentor to others.

Packed with stories and anecdotes from Jayme's experience as both a mentor and a mentee - plus sprinklings of wisdom on balance, purpose, and change - Face to Face speaks to the heart of young women eager to grow in their faith.  In her warm, personable style, Jayme offers advice on how to journey well with someone further along.

Face to Face definitely does everything that it sets out to do, and is well worth the read if you are interested in finding a mentor. 

You can purchase it on Amazon for $8.96.

*This book was given to me free of charge by Moody Publishers.  All opinions are my own!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."