Skip to main content

Back to School with Mother Goose Time

Little Guy and I took a bit of a break from Mother Goose Time when Baby Girl came into our home.  She was brand new, and I had another baby at the time and we were not getting anything done school wise, so I wasn't doing well blogging.  I was generously offered maternity leave, which was great! 

I love Mother Goose Time, and am really excited to be back to using it.  While Little Guy is great at his workbooks and flash cards, I know that he really enjoys the hands-on, learn through play model that Mother Goose Time uses.  I firmly believe that you should teach a child in a multitude of ways, so he learns to be a good learner, no matter what teaching style someone might have.  Plus arts and crafts are fun! 

This month our theme is Nursery Rhymes.  I love nursery rhymes, and Little Guy probably knows most of them already, but I know we are both going to enjoy doing related activities.  We also have a new "student", a two year old little girl I baby-sit. For the blog I will call her Little Girl.

We started a day early, because I was to excited to wait!  Today's rhyme was This Little Piggy.  We started off our month as we usually do: Nametags, with an activity called Which Piggy?.  I wrote Little Girl's name, which she was supposed to trace over, but really she just scribbled on it a little bit.  Little Guy wrote his name, and did the most perfect "a" I have seen him do.  Then we all drew pictures of pigs. 

After we had written our names and drew our pictures, we put the pictures face down on the floor, with the nametags in the middle.  We said "This Little Piggy" while walking in a circle, then we took turns flipping over a picture and matching the picture to the nametag of the person that drew it.  The directions were a little bit different, I was supposed to flip them over and then let the person who drew the picture come and find their nametag, but I didn't read the directions very well apparently.

PIG PICTURES - Little Guy's, Mine, Little Girl's

We also made ADORABLE Piggy Puppets.  Seriously, these are so cute!  Little Guy did a lot of the work on his puppets himself, which was pretty cool.  He needed some help folding them in the correct spot, but he taped them himself.  He also noticed that all the pig noses were a little different.  When it was time to decorate them, I was really impressed because he looked at the example on the Make and Play card and then gave the same accessory to the same pig (they all have their arms in different positions), with no prompting from me.  I love to see him following implied directions without my input.  We played with them a little bit, but it was lunch time. 



There were a couple more activities that we didn't get to.  But I am trying to be okay with that.  Rather than be worried about what we didn't do, we are going to focus on what we did well!  I've never been very good at doing everything, but I always felt guilty about it.  No MORE!  Isn't that one of the benefits of homeschooling?  The curriculum works for you, not the other way around? 

I receive Mother Goose Time for free in exchange for sharing our experiences.  All opinions are my own.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."