Skip to main content

Why I Teach My Son to Obey and Other Thoughts on Obedience



When I am teaching my son to obey, right away, all the way, and in a pleasant way, there are three reasons for it:
  1. Honestly, it makes my life a lot easier if I don't have to try to convince him to do what I want him to do.  It also makes his life easier because he knows that he doesn't need to fight me on things, he just needs to do them.
  2. I feel that I am training him to obey God as I train him to obey Michael and I.  Now don't take that the wrong way.  I am well aware that I am as far from being God as everyone else.  But first of all, Ephesians 6:1 tells children to obey their parents, so by requiring Little Guy to obey me, I am helping him follow the one commandment that God gives specifically to children.  Secondly, I am trying to teach him a lifelong habit of obedience.  Our lives are usually much more joyful when we are obeying God than when we are trying to do our own thing.
  3. It is good training for when he is an employee.  No one wants to keep someone on the payroll that isn't willing to do what needs to be done for the company to stay afloat.  Nor do they want to deal with someone that has a poor attitude about doing the tasks they are given.
Common Objections to Complete Obedience
  • Children taught to obey adults without question are more likely to be sexually abused.
    • This is something that worries me too!  Since my son has been old enough to talk, we have discussed that his private parts are his, and that no one should touch or look at them.  We have practiced what he should do if anyone ever wants him to do inappropriate things.  I have told him that if anyone tries to do anything involving private parts he needs to scream at them and say no, hit them, kick them, bite them, whatever he has to do.  I have also emphatically stated that he would NEVER, EVER be in trouble if someone did something bad to him, and he should never be afraid to tell me.  We also use the correct words for our body parts, despite my husband finding that to be awkward. 
  • If I teach them to obey without question, they will not stand up for themselves or what is right.
    • I would never want my son to do immoral things because his superior told him to.  I want him to stand up for what is right, no matter the cost, if his boss tells him to lie on an expense report or something, he should say no, and be willing to lose his job to do the right thing.  Often when we are talking about obedience, I bring up dangerous, or wrong things that someone might tell him to do, and we discuss that although obeying is important, it is more important to obey God than man.  As he gets older this is something we will discuss more thoroughly. 
  • How will they become leaders if they are taught to obey just authority without question?
    • Well, in our industrialized world, the likelihood is that they won't be leaders, at least not at their jobs.  It is just a fact that unless they are going to live a self-sufficient lifestyle, they are more than likely going to be someone's employee.  Also, as my son (and other children if I happen to have more) gets older I intend to give him lots of opportunities to be a leader, make decisions, and be responsible.  Obeying the authorities over you is not necessarily contrary to being a leader.  We all have rules to follow and consequences if we choose not to follow them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."