Skip to main content

Miss Baby Breaks Her Face (Part 1)

This afternoon my mom and I took the kids shopping at Value Village.  Little Guy and Miss Baby were pretty good, but got a bit cranky towards the end, while I was trying on clothes.  My mom had a couple things to try on too, so she went in and I took the kids.  As soon as my mom got her pants off, Miss Baby tripped over her own feet and face planted onto the cart.  Most of the time I have the kids get themselves up, see if they are okay, and tell them it was a good fall, and they move on.  I was pretty sure that this time was going to be a lot worse then usual.  Unfortunately I was right.

I had been holding Little Guy, and I stuck him back in the cart seat and picked her up.  She was bleeding profusely from her forehead.  Apparently, on some carts, the covers of the wheels are sharp metal and that is where she landed.  Thankfully she didn't fall 1/2 an inch closer or it would have been REALLY bad, with an eye injury.  I called for my mom, who by this time wasn't wearing pants, because she was trying on a dress.  I brought Miss Baby into the dressing room with her and ran back to Little Guy, because I realized that I hadn't fastened him into the cart in my mild panic about Miss Baby.  

At this point I had blood all over my boobs, but I hadn't noticed that.  I took Little Guy over to the cash register and asked if there was a first aid kit.  The girl told me no, but she could get me a band-aid.  I didn't really think a band-aid would cut it, and was like, "well she fell on her face on the cart and is bleeding a lot, and I think she might need stitches so...", at which point another lady led me over to the most pathetic first aid kit ever - just alcohol pads and band-aids.  I asked for paper towels, and was handed some of those crappy brown non-absorbent towels.  But it was better than nothing.  Then I was asked if I wanted to fill out a report, I said "Um, what for?  I am not going to sue you guys..." because I am not going to.

We went back to my (still pantsless) mother and Miss Baby and cleaned the pretty horrible gash on her face.  My mom applied pressure with the paper towels, and we decided we should probably take her to the ER.  But I had to take Miss Baby, and my mom had to, you know, get dressed.  So first I took Little Guy out to ask a random lady to hold him, because, well I can only hold one baby at a time if one of the babies needs to be held with pressure applied to her head.  Then I put the band-aid on her head and held her while my mom got dressed.  

Then we had to decide on a hospital to go to.  We were quite a lot closer to the big hospital, but the ER there tends to have an hours long wait, and the smaller one was further away, but never has a super long wait.  I decided that the short wait, and the very close proximity to my house in case they required proof that I am her foster mom was better than the shorter trip to the big hospital.  

On the way there, Miss Baby was quite certain that "Owie all better.  Owie gone.  Go home."  We decided that since she doesn't have any medical experience we were not going to take her word for it, and continued to the hospital. 

The receptionist at the hospital was an idiot, and felt that it was appropriate to keep asking us to wait while she answered the phone, although after we had been standing for a good 3 minutes (keep in mind we are LITERALLY the ONLY people in the room) she did ask if everyone was breathing before closing the window and talking for a few more minutes.  Happily she was actually pretty nice once we got service.  I told her what happened and she was like "And you want to get stitches cause she is a girl and you want her to grow up pretty."  I thought it was a weird thing to say (but kind of true LOL).  

to be continued... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."