Skip to main content

Our First Day of Mother Goose Time - DRUMS

I was so, so, so excited to start Mother Goose Time this month.  Little Guy knows his basics (ABCs, letter sounds, numbers to 6 - well kind of to 10, but he usually confuses them after 6 - and colors) and it is definitely time for him to get some more hands-on learning before he is old enough for book work.

It was seriously hard for me to wait.  First waiting for my kit to arrive (I feel like package tracking is such a catch-22, on the one hand its cool to know when your package will arrive, on the other hand it kind of ruins the surprise...) and then waiting for the new month to start so we could start school.  It was only a few days, but they were torture!!!

We actually started a day earlier than the calendar suggested.  We started on Monday the 29th, and will be a day ahead until the week of Christmas, at which point we will fall behind when we take the week off.  I am a little "type A" about some things, and separating themed weeks seemed like a mental challenge.  So we will also run a day into January with the Sights and Sounds of Winter theme.

We started out the week with Drums.  Little Guy did NOT excel this day.  It was a little humbling for this mom who though her little boy was oh-so-smart.  He did well with the concept of white, because he already knows his colors, so when I let him take the paintbrush and find something white in the house he thought it was pretty fun.  Sadly his ability level went down from there.

Our first real activity was called Name Beats.  He was supposed to be learning about syllables in words, especially his name.  First he wrote his name on a nametag (well I wrote his name on the nametag and then he "copied" it, although it looked nothing like his name...), then we were going to clap or pound for each syllable.  He did not get it AT ALL.  He thought it was loads of fun, and we had fun clapping to all the names in our family, but he didn't understand why, or clap at the right times.

Banging on pots and bowls
Next we did Drum Design.  He isn't great at the discussion questions to be honest.  First of all there is just him, which limits the excitement level, second of all, he is 2.5 and doesn't know much yet.  So he didn't answer me when I asked him what sounds different objects make when you pound on them.  He did however have A LOT of fun being allowed to pound on pots and bowls and stuff.  He decorated his drum (his first time using markers, although I think he had more fun capping and uncapping them than actually using them), telling me he was "writing his name".  He was supposed to use the drum to the beat of a song, but it was hard because the dowel kept falling out.  Plus he doesn't apparently "feel the beat" so while he could get a rhythm going, it was his own, not the one in the song.
Decorating his drum
At this point we read a story (Olivia Forms a Band - which I found really, really boring, and he didn't seem to care for either) and went to the play room to kick a ball around for "recess".

The next thing we did was Rhythm Patterns, which he HATED.  My son is not really defiant, but when it comes to being told to move his body in a particular way he is not a fan.  He is pretty obedient most of the time, but when its time to play Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes, or applaud the end of a song, he is obstinate.  You are supposed to draw 4 cards and follow/repeat what they say to make a pattern.  He only did this activity under duress, and even when I simplified it to two cards, he was still clapping six times, stomping once, drumming 4 times, etc.

Last was Drum Communication, an activity where you communicate through drums like some cultures used to do.  He didn't really communicate anything, but he had fun pounding on the ground and being silly.  The instructions also said to have the children draw a picture or write a secret message to a friend.  Instead I had him write a letter to someone.  He drew on one side of the paper, then I turned around and dictated a letter to my brother "Uncle Tad" for him.  The letter was ridiculous, I will have to share it on here later.

All in all it was a really fun start to our pre-school.  Little Guy really enjoyed himself, I felt good spending so much quality time with him, and he got to try a lot of new things.  He didn't do very well "academically" but I have never really worked with him on the things he was assessed for today, so hopefully he catches on eventually.

His finished drum

I am a blog ambassador for Mother Goose Time.  My son and I receive free curriculum in exchange for sharing our experiences.  All opinions are my own and not influenced by the fact that I get it for free!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."