Skip to main content

Three Reasons I Am Super Stoked to Discover the Desert With Mother Goose Time

This March, Little Guy and I are going to Discover the Desert with Mother Goose Time.

I am really excited about this month, for a wide variety of reasons.

Reason One:
  • Cowboys!  What could be more fun for a little boy than learning about cowboys?  We are spending our whole first week learning about rodeos and cowboys.  Although it is the wrong time of year for a rodeo, I am sure that Little Guy will make the connections this summer if we get a chance to take him.  Plus, this is the perfect time to have him watch his first John Wayne movie.  Which will definitely be McLintock.
Reason Two:
  • An amazing list of activities!  Every month I go through the Teacher Guide and mark the activities I really want to do, because I know I will not get ALL of them done.  Some months (so far Going on a Safari and Discover the Desert) I end up marking darn near all of them, because the activities seem so fun, but still achievable.  Some activities seem fun, but involve a lot of prep on my part, or going outside (the weather is way to hit and miss to take a newborn outside regularly), so I don't really anticipate doing them.  This month, almost everything, from Circle Time to Celebration, seems like an easy, fun activity.  Will they all get done?  No.  Let's just be honest, they will not all get done, but I know that even if I only do some of them, Little Guy is learning and we are both having fun!
Reason Three:
  • The Mojave Desert.  I am going to be embarrassingly honest here.  I had no idea where the Mojave Desert is.  If you had asked, I probably would have said Mexico or something.  Then I started playing Fallout: New Vegas, and realized that the Mojave Desert is right here in the USA.  So even if Little Guy doesn't learn anything, at least I did :)
    I am oddly excited about teaching Little Guy about the Mojave Desert while I "explore" the post-nuclear-dystopian-future version of it on the PlayStation.  Its just perfect timing!

2015_ThemeWebs_Mar
A third, bonus reason is that its a new month, and a new start.  Last month I did not do well at getting on top of the schooling thing.  This month I am determined to do school more regularly, and since the baby is sleeping pretty much through the night at this point, and Little Guy is making great strides at being more obedient and kind (like a Friendly Bee), I think I have a real shot.  We did really well for most of January, and pretty well in December, considering that I had a newborn and it was Christmas time, so hopefully March will be where we settle into some consistency.

Little Guy and I get our curriculum from Mother Goose Time free of charge in exchange for sharing our honest experiences using it.  We are incredibly blessed by this, but maintain an objectivity of opinion :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Choose Christian Light Education Homeschool Curriculum

Last summer I decided that I was going to homeschool our foster daughters while they were on summer vacation.  There were two reasons for this: 1) Two of the three girls were behind academically.  I really hoped that by working through the summer we could help them get on track for the next school year.  They left our house soon after school started, so I don't know how well it worked. 2) I don't allow my children much in the way of screen time, and these girls were accustomed to having TV and tablets in their rooms all the time.  So they never really knew what to do with themselves.  I figured school work for the morning would help with that dilemma. Choosing a curriculum was difficult for me.  I know that some people bounce around and change curriculum a lot, but whatever I got, I hoped I would like enough to use the non-consumables with Little Guy.  I don't like wasting money, and I hate the idea of some topics falling through the cracks because different curricu

Things That Annoy Infertile Girls (or Maybe Just Me?) - Flashback Friday

This was actually one of my more popular posts when it was first published, but I still thought I would share it again.  Any additions to the post are in pink, as usual :) Accidental Pregnancies - So I have been trying for years to get pregnant, you go slut around and accidentally get pregnant? Immediate Pregnancies - You quit taking your birth control last month and now you are pregnant? People Who Give You Retarded Advice -            - Just stop trying and you will get pregnant            - My friend adopted a baby and got pregnant right away, you should do that            - Get drunk, people always get pregnant when they are drunk (Yes, they do. Because they are              intoxicated and forget to take precautions.) Whiny Girls That Pretend They Are Infertile - Trying for 5 months is not suffering from infertility. It takes a year on average to get pregnant.  I get that it might FEEL like infertility but it just isn't.  After YEARS of trying, I can't even rememb

Training Children vs. Raising Children

In many conservative circles, parents refer to training their children.  This term comes from Proverbs 22:6, which says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Almost unfailingly, when you get into a discussion on this topic, there is a parent that is appalled at the use of "training" on children.  Nine times out of ten, they say "You train dogs, you RAISE children."